amazon digital music

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by frac82, Oct 21, 2017.

1. frac82

frac82 MDL Junior Member

Jun 20, 2012
    hello everybody!
    I need a piece of advice from somebody experienced: if I buy digital songs (mp3) from Amazon may I then rip them into an audio CD and listen to it on my hi-fi home system? can I play the mp3s I bought on a generic app (VLC) or do I need an AMazon-specific one?
    thnx

2. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    It hardly looks legit...

4. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    perfectly legal, getting your tunes from Golden Mp3.ru does not get you ripped off by the U.S.recording industry, Amazon and the RIAA profit from the artist. Golden Mp3 simply avoids the RIAA because they are not in the U.S. and not subject to pay RIAA royalties.
    Just google it, The RIAA has tried to take them to court but the Russian courts sided with Golden Mp3

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. frac82

frac82 MDL Junior Member

Jun 20, 2012
    I wanted to know about Amazon, honestly I'm not interested in the rest: so anybody can help me?

6. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Somebody else will have to say, I do not use Amazon for getting MP3's

7. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    I buy original CD audio at amazon. Mostly I also get the album as additional mp3 download into my amazon music library. ATM there are 42 albums

I can authorize up to 10 devices for download. With these then I can download the mp3s without any amazon app.
    The album comes as single zip archive when downloaded. The mp3s work on any other PC, authorized or not. There is no DRM.

You can revoke authorization for any device. After 30 days its place becomes reusable again.
    Once a year you can revoke all devices' authorization at once. You can also check auto de-authorization of devices after 90 days to have most of spare places.

8. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    @ Yen sounds very good and good to know also thanks for the heads up :)

9. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Just saying without really knowing, it may be legal in Russia, but not in the West. Which of course doesn't mean that you'll get in trouble, as the authorities normally go after those offering to the masses, not individual users. They can get you for downloading a torrent, but that's because the way torrents work, while downloading you're also offering to the other users.

10. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #10 Joe C, Oct 24, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    Not sure of the legal ramifications of a U.S. citizen not paying royalties to the RIAA for the music downloaded from another country. And like you stated, it's not a torrent so they can't get you for sharing, or track your download