AMD Athlon II X4 645 and (patched) Windows 11 (OS not found)

Discussion in 'Windows 11' started by itsmemario1, Apr 22, 2022.

1. itsmemario1

itsmemario1 MDL Expert

Sep 10, 2012
    Yes, its a (very) old System with 4GB of RAM on a MSI MS-7599 Mainboard. (RX780 Chipset + SB750/SB710)

While latest Windows 10 21H2 (64bit) installs, boots up and (still) runs (quite slow) after the GeForce GT520 got recognized, Windows 11 (with script) finishes the installation, but the command prompt claims, "No operating system found", after a reboot.

Not worth the time anyway, but I thought it might be interesting to other "experimenters".

Im sure it could be a HW issue, RAM issue or HDD issue as well, but I tried several times with Win10 and it always worked. More tomorrow... ;O

2. case-sensitive

case-sensitive MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2013
    What script ?

What patch ?

Did you check if win 11 is realy on the HDD ?

Are there drivers for your computer and windows 11 ?

3. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    for starter that machine is ancient...sounds to me like a failing HD swap out the HD if you have another .... check the cables and make sure if that checks out could be a bad mobo make sure the bios configuration the HD is in the correct setting if theirs a option for compatibility mode try that to or bios to old and no support.

4. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    These days, whenever you install windows 10/11, you MUST have an SSD, or else
    Now, the "no os found" error, it can be:
    - bad install
    - failing disk
    - failing SATA(I certainly hope it's SATA) cable
    - very rarely, people install windows while having multiple drives connected, and even more rarely that causes inability to boot, even after you remove the "non-system" drive, thinking "well I only left the drive with windows in there, y u no work...". To be safe in this particular case, always disconnect the other drives and leave the one that's meant to house your OS.

It's highly unlikely it's RAM issue, because at that point you would be having more serious issues like your PC not being able to even get to POST.
    Overall it sounds like a drive issue.

As suggested above, if you're still on an HDD, do get yourself an SSD, even if it's just a 60gb one - for just windows and programs it will be enough.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Win 10 installs fine, 11 too, it seems but after the first(?) reboot it fails to go thru.

6. itsmemario1

itsmemario1 MDL Expert

Sep 10, 2012
    Hehe, thanks for looking by and taking (wasting) your time for this (worthless) experiment. Appreciated !

I meant the 1st reboot after "Getting devices ready and stuff".

I use Enthousiasts script.

It is a HDD SATA (7200RPM) (non SSD), the board still has IDE connectors as well and I exchanged all cables today, leaving only the HDD connected.

I also exchanged the HDD before, but now get past the "Getting devices ready" reboot and finally reached the desktop, installing updates now.

The last "Interesting" thing was, to not to let the computer enter sleep mode. It will never wake up again.

In my experience, some very old Desktops and Laptops dont deserve a SSD, because 7200 RPM is just it.
    You cant really feel the SSD speeds, as often old dual cores and 2GB of RAM together with an ancient graphics card...simply cant handle a SSD.
    There is simply really no difference to 7200RPM, as the SSD gets bottlenecked everywhere.

But ya, most of the times SSD makes wonders happen. :p

Yes, this device is very old and Im more considered about the hardware failing sooner or later.

But I love to rescue such old devices, handing em over to 1st time computer users (Typwriter and Emails) for free.
    (beeing aware they have more fun (and speed) on their cheap mobile phones already)

In the end I see these (older) people often sitting at that computer (+big screen or TV) and enjoy writing "Modern" letters or Emails.

7. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    There's really no such thing. While yes, you don't really notice the full potential of even a SATA SSD with pre-sandy-bridge era dual-cores and low amounts of ram, it's not the SSD that can't be "handled", it's the amount of processes and the number of disk I/O operations per unit of time that a weak dual-core or even modern Celeron/Pentium quad-cores(laptop ones) can't handle. You literally put an SSD in such a machine, install windows 10, open task manager and watch the cpu choke itself while the SSD barely manages to hit a double digit utilization %.

An SSD is the best "reviver" of old systems. Even a cheap 60GB one, which ends up being more or less perfect for the people you describe(emailers and typewriters).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. ohenry

ohenry MDL Senior Member

Aug 10, 2009
    In my experience, the most likely cause is having more than one hard drive or SSD or {something bootable} on the system. Strip it down, only one hard drive or SSD connected, and try again.

And any computer with only 2 gigs of memory should either be junked, or else have the memory upgraded. And in my experience, 4 gigs is really marginal. Going from 4 to 8 gigs of memory and adding an SSD can really revive an older computer. But if you're stuck with 2 gigs, then throw that sucker away and start hitting the thrift stores (Goodwill, etc).

9. pm67310

pm67310 MDL Guru

Sep 6, 2011
    Very old install ubuntu mate or linux mint with mate low ressource ideal for basic computing

10. itsmemario1

itsmemario1 MDL Expert

Sep 10, 2012
    For "I see computer for the 1st time"-people I sometimes choose Linux indeed. From Puppy to Mint and sometimes Knoppix.
    Enough for the basics.

I just dont feel comfortable throwing it away (yet). If at least youtube works normally on such old devices, its worth handing it to somone in need.

11. case-sensitive

Nov 7, 2013
    #11 case-sensitive, Apr 23, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2022
    The latest win 10 version works on it ............ win 11 wont = Its win 11 ............. = Compatibility and / or driver .

12. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    i agree the machine is to old the HW wasnt design for win11

13. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    I love how people are just changing the topic back to cOmPaTiBiLiTy...

Read OP again:
    This is 99.9% not a driver/compatibility issue. How about OP runs a test on the storage drive itself, maybe also swap the data cable to it, and then we talk about compatibility?

14. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    I'd say something has failed with the script & his install.
    Maybe it's failed to create the boot files needed after the install.
    A boot from WinPE & a partition inspection would be handy to see whats there, then perhaps run bcdboot to fix the issue...

15. case-sensitive

Nov 7, 2013
    >This is 99.9% not a driver/compatibility issue. How about OP runs a test on the storage drive itself, maybe also swap the data cable to it, and then we talk about compatibility?

Read the thread . IT WORKS WITH THE LATEST WIN 10 VERSION ........ and its a computer from win XP days .

16. itsmemario1

itsmemario1 MDL Expert

Sep 10, 2012
    I already made it happen in Post #6.

Windows 11 works now. Slow, but sure.

It probably was a faulty SATA cable and/or the previous HDD...or maybe even the Mainboard, as it now screams "Bad Checksum" on booting now,
    even with a new CR2032 battery. (all jumpers checked)

This is device is damn old, not yet ready for beeing trashed, but it is on its way...it is dying, slow but sure.

p.s.
    As I wrote, dont let it enter sleep mode, as it wont wake up again. So maybe "ACPI compatibility messed up error things stuff" as well. ;D

17. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    @case-sensitive I'll let you google the board and cpu and edit your post. :) Nothing in the described parts list is "from xp days".
    Also, just because it worked with a windows 10 install 5 minutes ago, doesn't mean that nothing could go wrong during the 11 install. A.k.a, yes, I am saying that hardware can randomly go bad right when you thought it's in good order.

@itsmemario1 Download Victoria 5.37, it's free software. Run it, get the smart status of the smart status on the drive, post a screenshot. I'm curious. We never actually saw anything in particular regarding the drive - test, smart status, actual model...

18. case-sensitive

Nov 7, 2013
    Stop argueing .

What you cant find is irelevant . I looked in google before i posted . The computer came out in 2010 and has an athlon prozesor . XP end of life was Apr 8, 2014 . I had several computers with athlon procesors and windows xp .

Mario said that it worked OK with the latest version of windows 10 = The computer is not f**ked .

Whats the difference between win 10 and 11 ? = Restrictions / compatibility and drivers .

Mario said he eventualy got it in but sleep doesnt work . ' So maybe "ACPI compatibility messed up error things stuff" as well. ' = Driver / compatibility .

You say ' Also, just because it worked with a windows 10 install 5 minutes ago, ' same same with your tests ? ......... and even if he does find any issues it doesnt mean that that was the cause of his problems ?

I dont give a f**k what it is , if mario is happy thats all that counts .

In the future if you want to shoot at me please do it with at least a little bit of substance and dont be snoty .

19. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    i have notice itsmario like to mess around with old HW a lot i was like that once when i was very young i would pick computers out of the garbage or go to salvation army and buy them dirt cheap and build one or two from other junk machines a would cannibalise and i would run into a bunch of issues and back in the days we didint have the diagnostic tools we take for granted today or go online to a tech forum and post your issue so trouble shooting was a lot tougher to figure out.....but i agree if he enjoys it and gains more knowledge go for it...you keep posting your question their will always be people here at the MDL that will always help you.

20. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    #20 shhnedo, Apr 25, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2022
    You're so monumentally wrong and salty it's unbelievable...
    When everyone is looking in the wrong direction, suggesting irrelevant stuff and then making it look like a "solution" - yes, I will argue and for a very obvious reason. If you can't see it, that's your problem. It has something to do with wrong information, building a habit of applying said information to other similar cases and then wondering why sh*t doesn't work.

I couldn't care less about XP EOL date. By 2010 mostly any dual/quad-core machine I've seen was adopting windows 7. The ones that were still running XP did so for specific reasons or were just too stubborn.
    You know what actually IS from "xp times"? A Pentium 4 531 or an Athlon64 X2 4400+, for example. The latter installs and boots windows 11 just fine, even if a bit choppy due to integrated motherboard graphics. Drivers are a completely different story, but at that point we're stretching practicality waay too much, aren't we?! But that's not the point of the whole argument, is it?

Nobody ever said "the computer is f***ed", stop twisting others words. You literally took one word(old), the error message(operating system not found) and started throwing La CoMpAtIbiLiTy "argument" at it without a single drop of common sense - the machine cannot detect an operating system to begin with!! What does that tell you?!?! To start eliminating the most basic and common HARDWARE issues(already mentioned above) that could cause this error, before you start looking at software. Ignoring hardware by just calling it old and assuming it's software compatibility issue in this case is half-assing, simple as. It's a damn mechanical drive in a 2010 machine, might even be the original one with the original sata cable, how the hell do you know if they're both in good condition or not?! I'll tell you how - TEST IT!

Which is generally solved in one of two ways. You either find drivers that work, or you install an os that's at least somewhat appropriate for the machine. Seeing as mario likes to fiddle with them old pcs, he'll reach the conclusion after trial and error, like mostly anyone else who does this sort of thing. In his case, if Windows 11 is a hard no-go due to no working drivers being available, he can always isntall 7 / 8.1 / 10 / some Linux distro.

Yet again you conveniently take someone's words out of context. YOU ARE IGNORING THE STATE OF THE HARDWARE ITSELF, WHEN ERROR IS IN YOUR FACE LITERALLY TELLING YOU WHERE TO LOOK! If that disk ends up being bad, you might as well install windows 95 on it, it will still stop booting an os/stop working altogether.

Unlike you, I don't like unnecessarily solving logically connected problems one at a time multiple times. But i guess as long as you get to furiously mash your keys and telling people ZOMG IT'S SOFTWARE without doing your due diligence, it's fine right? Cuz why would you swap out a bad component and then install software, when you can waste time installing software on a drive that probably reads at <50 MB/s multiple times and then have said drive fail in about a week or two... All good mate, people's time is irrelevant. :)

No worries, you're in my ignore list already. :)