"An unauthorized change was made to Windows"

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Zombie, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Zombie

Zombie MDL Novice

Jun 10, 2010
    Just got prompted by this in a pop-up window, and Learn more online -> validation download...
    The funny thing is that I have not installed any Windows updates recently? This has been installed with the Dell key (with real Dell SLIC BIOS), no loader of any kind.

After running validation,

"Enter a genuine Windows product key.
    Windows validation detected and repaired an activation exploit (used to prevent built-in Windows licensing components from operating properly). You must activate Windows in order to complete the repair process and be able to use the full functionality of Windows. Not to worry, we can help you with that."

System shows Windows activation: Status Not Available, ProductID: Not Available

What to do? Seems i've got 30 days time...

2. Josh Cell

Josh Cell MDL Developer

Jan 8, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    my stupid dell does the same thing.... What I did was run SFC /scannow an let it reset all.... I then did a REBOOT.
    I then opened control panel - moved down to Activation. and entered y Genuine Dell KEY. click Activate. then went to
    Verify Genuine link and M$ Verified it was Genuine....
    My Dell has done this twice, and 1st time was when I ran DELL'S UPDATE...

4. Josh Cell

Josh Cell MDL Developer

Jan 8, 2011
    Well, if have detected an exploit, have files bricked by an software.

An simply SFC not will solve the major problems.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Zombie

Zombie MDL Novice

Jun 10, 2010
    Installed Ultimate key and Dell certificate. This is a Dell machine so the BIOS is SLIC already. The message made me think if the Dell cert in question has been deactivated...

Haven't had time to reboot yet, kinda busy right now, i'll keep on posting to this thread when there's more.

6. Zombie

Zombie MDL Novice

Jun 10, 2010
    WTF: I put the same Dell Win 7 Ultimate OEM key as before into the activate now popup box, and it validates 100% ok... Now only if i knew what caused this to begin with :smokecowboy:

Wondering if this is some "dell thing" like with Snuffy?