Android 5.1.1... too old?

Discussion in 'Android' started by Coastal Jay, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Coastal Jay

Coastal Jay MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2018
    Hi all, I'm new to Android devices and I'm considering purchasing a Samsung Tab A 7 inch purely for video playback. I just have a couple of questions. The tablet is running Lollipop 5.1.1, which I know is old, but is it too old? Will most apps in the play store work ok on it? Are there other issues I need to be aware of buying a new device running such an old OS? Any tips greatly appreciated :)

2. grrgrr

grrgrr MDL Member

Oct 4, 2017
    I don't see an issue of you solely want to use it for video playback, as VLC and other apps should support Lollipop 5.1.1.
    Do check the apps you plan to use if they support Lollipop 5.1.1

3. Coastal Jay

Coastal Jay MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2018
    Thanks for the feedback, appreciate it! :)

4. toyo

toyo MDL Senior Member

Aug 14, 2009
    I wouldn't bother with it. You might run into issues within 1-2 years if the apps you want to use decide to drop support for such an old OS version. I got my first ugly surprise with the Phone app from Microsoft which required minimum Android 7 for all features to work, and I had 6 on my phone. It was not essential, but it still pissed me enough to buy a new phone with 9/Pie which is way faster, so I'm glad I invested in it.
    I guess you could swap to other apps that still support old OS versions if it happens.

5. Catop

Catop MDL Novice

Jun 26, 2019
    No!

6. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    If you really only want to use it for video, you will NEVER have a problem, as it is your choice to update the vlc player or not.

Also... are you sure this will not update the android version? I bought a Tab A but the 10 inch version, also old butnow running automatically on 8.1.
    I know the 7inch fits into most pockets, and the 10inch will not, but for videos... I bought mine during a visit to Germany a year ago and it cost under $200.
    I use it as video player, mp3 player, GPS navy in the car, to read magazines and newspapers and watch the TV stations I use.... (which may be strange ones for you)

7. Coastal Jay

Coastal Jay MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2018
    Thanks! Yep all worth considering. I figure that with all the media player apps I should be able to find at least one that will support Lollipop for a few more years to come :)

8. Coastal Jay

Coastal Jay MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2018
    Thanks for the advice! Not sure if the 7 inch will update automatically, I haven't read anything to suggest it will. But like you said, I think that for video playback I should be ok for a few years at least.

9. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015

Go to settings > about (which is usually the last item on the list) There will also be the update link, if it does not update now from 5.1. it never will

10. Coastal Jay

Coastal Jay MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2018
    Thanks :) I haven't bought it yet but I'll do that when I do.

11. mikeshutte

mikeshutte MDL Novice

Apr 22, 2015
    If you know anything about rooting and flashing custom ROMs, Samsung devices are probably some of the most developed devices old or not. I had a galaxy s4 that was running Android 5 and upgraded to Android 9. Ran very smooth and stable. If the price was right for the tab, I would grab it up!!!

12. Coastal Jay

Coastal Jay MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2018
    Thanks for the tip! I know a little bit about ROMs and could prob google my way through the process if I need to :thumbsup:

13. NST_Adventure

NST_Adventure MDL Addicted

Jun 1, 2019
    And nostalgia as well
    Damn you google why we can't disable apps from setting again i future version of android?! *Triggered*

Best Regards
    NST_Adventure

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
  15. NST_Adventure

NST_Adventure MDL Addicted

Jun 1, 2019
    L
    Iineage OS Is The Best :p

Best Regards
    NST_Adventure

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. Kaldius

Kaldius MDL Novice

Jul 19, 2013
    I would only get it if the price is very good, otherwise look into a newer model.

With video playback the only issue I can see is no hardware decoding for H.265 (HVEC) so depending on how important this format and possibly 10-bit formats are to you which would require a significant amount of cpu power to decode without hardware mode, make certain the CPU can keep up with the demands. As for Android 5.1.1 itself is quite capable I suggest using MXplayer.