android 7 has a new feature that be nice to have in windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by gabrielmorrow, Sep 23, 2016.

1. gabrielmorrow

gabrielmorrow MDL Member

Jul 5, 2013
    #1 gabrielmorrow, Sep 23, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
    the abilty to update windows without a reboot

any idea if windows 10 will ever have this? how many would want it?

hoping if i post this microsoft sees it and adopts it since im pretty sure some at microsoft read these forums

i also sumbited it to feedback hub hope others do to

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    A very long time ago they already promised it but it never was accomplished.

3. gabrielmorrow

gabrielmorrow MDL Member

Jul 5, 2013
    #3 gabrielmorrow, Sep 23, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
    (OP)
    i didnt know they promised it anyway im hoping with android having it they are forced to add it

pretty sure apple adds it soon to compete with android

4. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Would a manufacturer win customers, only because after an update, no reboot is needed?

5. gabrielmorrow

gabrielmorrow MDL Member

Jul 5, 2013
    well the answer to that is probably no but it might give that manufacturer an edge however slight

exspcialy with monthly updates on phones is where its most usefull

6. Full inu

Full inu MDL Addicted

Jun 9, 2015
    Would a manufacturer win customers, only because after the installation everything works out of the box?
    *cough* macOS *cough*

7. WindowsGeek

WindowsGeek MDL Expert

Jun 30, 2015
    yes they did i think sense the days of vista.:aerobueke:

8. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    I believe it was around XP.

9. john123x

john123x MDL Member

Jun 5, 2011
    i dont think its possible, android is basically linux, where i think we all have heard stories bout "its possible to delete everything including OS while linux OS is running".

try delete all the files in C partition while its running, it will probably show access denied, system file in use, something like that.

i think this feature is a potential security risk. if we are able to update without restarting, what stop the bad guys from creating a virus that deletes everything while windows is running?

10. gabrielmorrow

gabrielmorrow MDL Member

Jul 5, 2013
    i think the way it sounds is in android the user partition and os partition are seperate so you have 3 partitions on the hard drive

it takes some setting up with partitions etc but basicly when android see an update it replaces partition one with newer version then sets that as boot partition user partition is partition 3

then later on when it needs to update again it updates partition 2 and sets it as boot partition and keeps going back and forth with each update

basicly android trades space on the drive by using 2 os partitions to make updates faster

in thoery windows could do same but it have to lock files on those partition so only system processes can access/modify them

11. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    You can theoretically minimize the need for a reboot by closing all running apps, as you should do when installing a new program. But if WU takes a long time, it's not worth it, it's more convenient to carry on working and then reboot, which is not even always asked.

In any case, a W10 reboot only takes seconds, so the gain would be minimal. It's not like my XP when I'd go make a cup of coffee while waiting, or even get one from the café round the corner.

12. Garbellano

Garbellano MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2012
    PNG instead of .icon and a long long list that would never, ever happend.
    Only in fairy tales in the window$ world.

13. solarstone2149

solarstone2149 MDL Member

Dec 11, 2009
    ugh, you call that "new" ???
    Linux has this for ages, something MS failed to deliver since... ever