Android has been around a long time by now and some things STILL have no fixes ?!?

Discussion in 'Mobile and Portable' started by smallhagrid, Jun 23, 2015.

1. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    #1 smallhagrid, Jun 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
    At least that I have been able to find...

Here's my least favourite one=>
    The teeny-weenie almost impossible to read statusbar - the thing is a useless waste of screen space as well as being a sort of torture device for anyone who must struggle to even read it.

I've looked at many, many alternative launchers and all seem to keep this stinky thing - and the closest I've come to getting along with it is an app that opens it from an icon.

Solution sought:
    How to either make it a bit bigger on my phone's tiny screen - or just hide it most of the time ?!?

Another real goodie=>
    When connecting via Wifi, sometimes it will just try to get an IP address over & over & over endlessly without success.
    This can happen even if you're sitting right beside a strong signal source.
    The only way I've ever found to get around this is to manually assign IP values, then it will connect fine.

Solution sought:
    Any trick or tool that will allow Android to connect without any extra fuss and/or delay.

This one is a pet peeve of mine:
    Endless, flashing/flickering in-app ads in supposedly 'free' aps !!
    I've searched for solutions numerous times and all I have found is folks debating about which ad blocker app & method is good vs. which one they say sucks.

Here is one possibly useful bit of info for this; its a comment that I found below such an argumentative article:

Solution sought:
    Any good way to keep using such 'free' apps minus the crazymaking ads, and still for free.
    (Yes - I do know that devs depend upon these horrid things for income - but many devs do not offer a paid app at all and ONLY offer a 'free' app with these eye-paining things...)

Thanks for any help with this annoying stuff !!

2. GotItBro

GotItBro MDL Novice

Apr 9, 2015
    Have you tried Adaway for ads.

3. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    Thanks.

I am hoping (though not optimistic...) to get some advice from folks who have found what really works as I really have not found anything that works well yet.

4. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. ancestor(v)

ancestor(v) Admin
    Staff Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. shorty2240

shorty2240 MDL Novice

Mar 5, 2015

The apps are "free"because of ad support... you realise that the people making these things need to get paid, or else they wouldn't be able to justify the effort of releasing updates etc..

Now if you were to complain about ads in an app you paid for, I would understand.

7. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007

In airplane mode Wi-Fi versus cellular should be no issue, you are right.

I see! I did not think you're still on 2.3.x...if my brain serves me right some of those version(s) have Wi-Fi issues/bugs out of the box...most DHCP related.

Some applied Wi-Fi fixes and/or kernel modifications to resolve the issue....

Some tried this :

- Unchecking the option in my android mobile --> "Use wireless networks" in "Location & security settings".

- Check default DHCP lease on the router if it is set to FOREVER. Change it then to a finite value (14 days).

8. David34

David34 MDL Member

Sep 6, 2015
    Android is actually great os way more customisations comparing to windows. It's an old thread but thought will write my bit, all you have to do is not to install stock android like the Google one, I use tablet nexus 7 from Google and installed on it rom or Android called optipop it's the best fastest and most customisable rom I came across plus you can install custom kernel and if you got issues with your wifi you can always change way it connects to router, And of course you can disable ads all you have to do is to install apps like lucky patcher could help you a bit. You could install aptoide it's like Google play store and you would find tones of apps helping you disable things.

9. Jack_Fenon

Jack_Fenon MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2015
    I am long time Android user since it come to the market. Love it so far.