Android Vs Windows phone 8?

Discussion in 'Mobile and Portable' started by matt167, Jan 30, 2014.

1. matt167

matt167 MDL Junior Member

Oct 8, 2013
    I have an AT&T branded android phone ( it's a Gophone ). It's an Aviva 2 or something like that. I had a Palm Pixi with WebOS that I loved until the screen broke, and then each of my backup phones collectively, none of them worked so I bought what was on the shelf at Walmart since I needed something.. Now this phone is horrid. If I'm playing Pandora and I get a text message it often crashes and shuts down Pandora. Other times it crashes and looses the menus until I restart.. Looking at upgrading to a Nokia Lumia 520 or greater because they seem like great phones and are relatively cheap to pick up ( I have found 520's for $70 and 820's around $150 both brand new ). Windows phone 8 is intriguing since Android in my experience sucks and I have no interest in the IOS.. How is Windows phone 8 compared to Android? If anyone remembers or used WebOS. That was great in my opinion and I like that style of functionability

2. matt167

matt167 MDL Junior Member

Oct 8, 2013
    So I found the Lumia 520 is $59 at Walmart.. Do I get the Lumia 520 or go for another Android? Seems an Android that is a name brand that runs Android 4.1 is going to be about $120 at least.. I know that I can get a lower end Samsung Galaxy for Straight Talk ( and use my ATT sim ) for between $99-120 depending on model..

Friend of mine who is pretty familliar with mobile devices says not to get a Windows phone because of app problems.. I use Pandora, facebook, a music player and that's pretty much it.. I have Candy Crush ( I know, but I like Logic games ) on my phone but do not play on the phone because the screen is so small and inaccurate. I just play right off Facebook from my computer

Suggestions?

3. andysal

andysal MDL Novice

Mar 8, 2014
    What kind of experince did you have, so you said that Android is suck?
    I think your friend is right, you will not get so many apps/features at Windows phone.

4. Windows user

Windows user MDL Senior Member

Sep 11, 2012
  5. hpwamr

hpwamr MDL Junior Member

Dec 30, 2013
    I'm very happy a Nokia Lumia 520 updated to Windows 8.1.
    Shure my next smarphone will be again a Windows Phone.

6. Alphawaves

Alphawaves Super Moderator/Developer
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I was never really into phones.. I bought an iphone 5s last year, found it boring. it was left on shelf for months. Ended up giving it my niece last month and buying an HTC which i love and use daily..:D
    Love android..:hug2:

7. csdbs

csdbs MDL Novice

Sep 29, 2014
    I am also very happy with the Nokia Lumia 520 upgraded to Windows 8.1.
    and definitely my next smartphone will be a Windows Phone.

8. Swervage

Swervage MDL Novice

Sep 15, 2014
    This is a tricky one actually. Because both Android and windows offer update of a year or two and then then phone kinda become obsolete and you have to buy new phone if you want to be up to date with current OS.