annoying Windows 7 update hassles

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Holden von Vloppen, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Holden von Vloppen

Holden von Vloppen MDL Junior Member

May 16, 2010
    I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate with the Daz Loader.

Win 7 updates have been annoying the @#$% out of me. At one point it was doing updates automatically without my permission. I would wake up in the morning to find the computer had rebooted, this f**king up my download. I found a fix for that:

So it no longer auto restarts, but it still automatically downloads and installs stuff, then pesters me to reboot. I have to keep clicking on "Postpone". The last two times I've restarted, it's started to boot up and then it says it's configuring Windows (because of the updates just installed) and it takes f**king goddamn forever and then it says the configuring failed and it restarts and does it again. Then on the next go around it does it, but then loads the operating system.

I just looked at the update center and it's still showing the 7 same updates as having not installed. These are the pestering updates shown in the update center:

I've unchecked them all at least for now. It's frustrating because I'm working on something important and then it keeps bugging me about this s**t and then when I finally relent and have it try to install the updates, the bootup takes forever and then the configuration just fails. I can already see one update I definitely don't want -- that's the IE 9 one. I don't use IE. I prefer Firefox. Are the other updates important? Can I just choose not to install them and then make Windows quit pestering me over them?

2. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #2 Daz, Apr 30, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    I don't like the never setting. I like to know theres updates but I prefer to download and install them when it suites me ;)

5. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
    Actually I've done it both ways and find either acceptable. I'm just a really "old school" sort of plugger (cut my teeth on PC DOS) and prefer to do certain critical things manually. And I have a reminder set in Outlook for the second Wednesday of every month to check for updates.

It all comes down to PC (personal choice) and what works for you. :)

6. U-Fig

U-Fig MDL Member

May 14, 2010
    you could try to do the "pestering"updates manually one by one, this often helps WU getting through to the end, after which WU is perfectly able,oce again , to update for itself.
    had this issue on several machines now and pushing the updates one by one seems to work in most, if not any of the cases, and i know it's a hassle to have to do it manually, but then again, you get to see where it eventually fails(or not)

so uncheck all but one update and let it update, then check one other to let it update, seems to me there are two or three updates that will not play nice together

Fig!

7. charlsey

charlsey MDL Junior Member

Mar 22, 2010
    Although Windows 7 is activated with Daz loader,
    my desktop still shows Text Mode Windows 7 Build 7601.
    I need help to get rid of this please.

8. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #8 Daz, May 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Open up command prompt as an administrator and input this:
    Code:
    bcdedit /set testsigning off

9. charlsey

charlsey MDL Junior Member

Mar 22, 2010
    It's gone ! Thanks Daz you are great.

10. PistaLugar

PistaLugar MDL Novice

May 3, 2011
    #10 PistaLugar, May 3, 2011
    Last edited: May 4, 2011
    I have the same problem as Holden von Vloppen, starter of this thread.

The following updates keep failing to install;

Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2492386)
    Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2515325)
    Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2522422)
    Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB982018)

They download, and start installing. Then I get prompted to restart to be able to install it completely. Then, the machine restarts, and install begins and ends soon with failure and reverting message. The machine boots up again, and once the Win7 is up, the same updates are ready to install once again. If I try to do that, the whole thing loops again. This happens on multiple machines with Win7 x64 + Daz Loader

Any solution?

EDIT:
    FixIt didn't fixed it. If I try to download the updates manually, it wants to install Genuine thingy, and I think that one doesn't like Daz. I read on other forum that those updates might be a reaction to Daz. Any thoughts on this?

11. dfuk

dfuk MDL Novice

Jul 26, 2009
    Had the same problem with those same 4 updates on both my lappy and main pc, both genuine win7. When i checked the update log it had failed on the previous 2 days, downloading the individual updates worked.

ps those updates installed on my test machine with daz loader 2.0.0 no trouble.

12. kaos420

kaos420 MDL Senior Member

Jul 30, 2009
    has nothing to do with daz loader. i have it installed on 3 machines all 64bit ultimate's. all update no issues at all.

13. PistaLugar

PistaLugar MDL Novice

May 3, 2011
    Where did you download those (manual) updates from?

14. PistaLugar

PistaLugar MDL Novice

May 3, 2011
    So I can ignore the Genuine Validation installation?

15. zahnoo

zahnoo MDL Senior Member

Feb 2, 2011
  16. flobo

flobo MDL Novice

Apr 18, 2011
    #16 flobo, May 4, 2011
    Last edited: May 4, 2011
    Same thing happening on two x86 windows 7 install. Stuck in this trying to install/ failed to install loop. Both of them with daz loader. But it updated without any problem (just took a while) on a x64 system.

Manual update of the first stuck update seem to have fixed them.