Another 2012 R2 Newbie

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by lostpassword, Jun 25, 2015.

1. lostpassword

lostpassword MDL Member

Nov 21, 2009
    #1 lostpassword, Jun 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
    I purchased a Lenovo Thinkserver this week as the deal was too good to refuse. I have never setup Windows server, my networking days were in the Novell Netware era.

Thanks to help from people here, and reading the answers on this forum, I now have it connecting to other my other PCs via ethernet. All seems well, but I would like to see if I can allow access from a remote computer via the internet. I know there are thousands of websites listing the instructions, but I find them all a bit complicated. If I get a start I think I will be able to finish it. I do NOT have a fixed IP address as my provider only allows that for a business contract. I have a home user contract.

I think there has to be some way of the remote PC contacting my server, whose address will vary every time it is switched on. I think it has to be via a web address, but I do not really want a website. What is the best way to provide this link, and can anyone recommend a provider of this service. It is only really for experimentation and hopefully my education. There will be no critical stuff on the server, and it could be wiped at any time and setup again. I think that all free providers have gone, but a reasonably priced provider would be acceptable.

I think it would be quite easy once I have the link for the external computer, and would probably ask again if necessary, once the first step had been completed. All I want the remote user to see is a login screen with user name and password. It would also be useful for me to login from any remote PC and have more access rights.

This is what makes MDL so good, is that the experts are willing to give invaluable advice to those with just basic knowledge. I usually find that I know less after reading the Microsoft help than I did before. Many thanks in anticipation.

2. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    some routers such as netgear have the DDNS built in. You sign up free from within your router browser pages and make a user name. Then your DDNS would be YOUPICKTHIS.mynetgear.com. Works great and free without junk email like no-ip gives you hehe

Also, RAdmin is free to use, install the server portion on the remote machine either use radmin's security or NT security to set user/pass, and the viewer on the machine you want to view. Default port is 4899 to forward in your router. Super simple to use.

3. lostpassword

lostpassword MDL Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Thanks ZaForD - I already use Teamviewer quite a lot to help friends on their computers. I find it very good, but wanted to learn the Server way of connecting. I will have a look at NO-IP, I did not realize that the server could update the IP when it changes.

4. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Ha Ha, I knew they'd be better ways. :p

@Threat,
    I tried setting up VPN on a VM with SVR16 TP Essentials. But could never get any clients to connect.
    Do you have any good links/tuts I could follow.

5. lostpassword

lostpassword MDL Member

Nov 21, 2009
    I used to use Netgear Router and agree that they are very good. I am now with TALKTALK, and have to use their router as part of the deal. It is linked to the TV as well. I refuse to sign up for all the extras as I have no interest in football or motor racing etc. TALKTALK are actually quite good despite a lot of bad publicity.

6. trasher255

trasher255 MDL Member

Jul 26, 2009
    If your IP changes not very often, there's no need for NO-IP or DDNS. Run a script in the task scheduler that sends an email-message as soon as your external IP changes so you know the new IP.

7. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    ???????? - not free where I am

But it is good, as one can have dual authentication (password to connect, only then the actual login)

8. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    Maybe I've never used it over a long enough period of time. I do see on the website, says 30 day trial but dunno never asks me for anything haha