Another forum like this

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Smart86, May 31, 2015.

1. Smart86

Smart86 Guest

Hi .... No disrespect to this fine forum but does anyone know another forum similar to this which is more noob friendly ? I mean were the members give step by step instructions . I find this forum really good if your very familiar with computers ins and outs . I'm basically hopeful to get to that knowledge so I can understand this forum more better . Thanks

2. andy.tay70

andy.tay70 MDL Junior Member

Dec 15, 2013
    no! this forus is all you need!

3. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    What are you looking to do? The fine people here will help, if we know what you are trying to do.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Smart86

Smart86 Guest

#4 Smart86, May 31, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2015
    (OP)
    When ever I need to do something I'm usually given a link to view which the thread itself has like a million post already which make it very confusing to understand . I don't get why the threads needs to have old posts in the thread, And I get why some are needed in case others have the same problems but that like one needs to see 3 or 4 hundred posts beforehand which make it very confusing ... Like now if I were to ask how can one slipstream windows 7 sp1 with all of MS updates latest, how many posts will be in that thread in how it's done ? 1000 ...Many aren't need to view since all I'm asking is steps to perform the following, it shouldn't take over a 1000 post to do so, no ? Thanks

5. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    I will make a simple how to for you, give me a few minutes.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. andy.tay70

andy.tay70 MDL Junior Member

Dec 15, 2013
    like i said this the only forum you should ever need.Everyone on here will help anyone if they ask

7. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    #7 Skaendo, May 31, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
    This is how to update a Windows 7 iso with the simplix updater, it's a little long but you will have a (almost) fully updated iso after using it.

This is a LibreOffice document that can be opened with MS Office Word:

https://cloud.mail.ru/public/Hdyw/BiC3djpqA

If you need a different format just let me know.

8. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @Smart86: Here is a list of My tricks to not getting insulted on -any- tech help forum that I go to:

A ) Research the question before I ask about it.
    You'd be surprised at what answers you can find by using the search engines. Google is your friend. Use it. :thumbsup:

B ) Document My question as best as I can. If I can't explain the problem well, how can I expect anyone to understand it and attempt to help Me?

C ) Patience (This is the important one) The people here who help others do it without any expectation of reward, other than the sheer joy of helping others. Do I want to annoy them or make them angry? Hell no. If I could, I'd cook them a dinner or buy them a beer just because. So if I don't get an answer in what I think is a timely fashion, I don't 'bump' my post or annoy anyone. I just wait. In the meantime, I ask in other places or continue to search the web (The web is -constantly- updating...please check back in a while.)

D ) Gratitude. -Always- say thanks. (This holds true for -everything- in life; not just forums.)

That's what I do. And by doing this, I've managed not to piss off too many people and not wear out my welcome. :)

Best of luck in your search, but I will reiterate what others have already said: This place is the best. Hands down.

Toodelz. :)

:MJ

9. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    When all else fails you can have a hissy fit on the chatbox while we watch like this :sharepopcorn:
    Then you will get all the help you need ...

10. Smart86

Smart86 Guest

Michaela Joy ... I totally agree to what you have said 100% ... This is why I said I believe this is a good forum, though more advance for me to understand .

11. Smart86

Smart86 Guest

Skaendo ... Thank you very much for your help and link ... Though, I'm curious if there a guide just for windows 7 Ultimate only . From that list it talk about all of the windows 7 versions, I don't need all just the one only ... I like to keep it as simple as possible . I have a windows Ultimate sp1 disk and it would be great if I can just update this disk with the latest or at least the most latest updates from MS. Thank you

12. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    #12 Skaendo, May 31, 2015
    Last edited: May 31, 2015
    Following the "guide" commands are for Windows 7 Ultimate x64. ie; /Index=4.
    The update pack contains the actual MS updates and integrates them into the install.wim.
    Think of it like SP2 that you apply yourself. (Made by a non-MS employee)

I use the simplix pack every month when it comes out, and it works flawlessly. The pictures are from one time that I applied it to my iso.
    I assure you that you will not be disappointed using it.

Once it is applied, (currently ~190 updates) you will only need to download about 15 updates through WU.

13. Smart86

Smart86 Guest

Oh I'm sure it is as you say it is ... If you can I don't understand what to do with

Open the Windows 7 AIK Deployment Tools Command Prompt from the Start Menu as an administrator and issue the following command:

How is this step done ? I don't see Windows 7 AIK Deployment Tools Command Prompt under the Start Menu and sorry for sounding like a computer noob ... Thank for the help

14. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    #14 Skaendo, Jun 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
    No problem, were here to help.

Assuming that you downloaded and installed the Windows 7 AIK, it should have created a folder in your start menu.

I'm firing up my Windows rig right now to have the actual names.

*Once you install the Windows 7 AIK there is a folder in your start menu under "All Programs" called Microsoft Windows AIK. Inside that folder there is a "Deployment Tools Command Prompt". Right click on that and "Run as Administrator".

15. Smart86

Smart86 Guest

#15 Smart86, Jun 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    The only 2 things I downloaded from the guide is

Code:
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/8/E/9/8E9BBC64-E6F8-457C-9B8D-F6C9A16E6D6A/KB3AIK_EN.iso
    And

Code:
    http://update7.simplix.info/UpdatePack7R2-15.5.15.exe
    I haven't done anything with them yet ... Is the first link the one I'm to install, and if so how ? I don't see any setup file . Also, I'm using a 32 bit system not 64 ... Thanks

16. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    #16 Skaendo, Jun 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Ok, burn the Windows 7 AIK to a DVD-R or DVD-RW, run the DVD and install it by clicking on "Windows AIK Setup".
    or you can extract the iso with WinRAR or UltraISO, and run the "startcd.exe" file from there.

Then you will be able to run "Deployment Tools Command Prompt" from your start menu.

Once you have that running and everything in place (the Windows 7 iso and update pack in C:\updater, and extracted your iso to C:\updater\dvd) input this command:

cd C:\updater

then:

dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:C:\updater\dvd\sources\install.wim

It will give you the list of versions available in your install.wim. For 32bit, Windows 7 Ultimate should be listed as Index 5.

If that is correct, input the command:

To leave out Internet Explorer 11 so that it will fit on a DVD-R-
    UpdatePack7R2.exe /WimFile=C:\updater\dvd\sources\install.wim /Index=5

To intergrate everything including Internet Explorer 11-
    UpdatePack7R2.exe /ie11 /WimFile=C:\updater\dvd\sources\install.wim /Index=5

The updater will begin and when you see the notepad pop up with the changes it is finished, it will take about a hour.

17. Smart86

Smart86 Guest

Okay I'm lost again. Is the Windows 7 AIK and supplement my first link I posted or the second . Where is this AIK program at ? If it's from my first link this is what I see when I view it

AIK.jpg

Click on pic to enlarge it

Again I don't see anything as to how to install it . If I were to burn it onto a disk will it just run the set up ? Thanks

18. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    Yes if you burn it to disc it will run automatically, but if you extract it you would need to run "startcd.exe".

19. Smart86

Smart86 Guest

Yes I just ran that and another window open from the program to install the AIK which I now see ... LOL By now you can see why I asked for a noob forum ... Thanks ... I will try doing the rest tomorrow I'm off to bed now ... Thanks again Skaendo ... I get up at 3am for work

20. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    #20 Michaela Joy, Jun 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
    @Smart86: So dig in!

Jump in with both feet and start reading through the posts.

You're not afraid of a little challenge, are you? :p

And if You get stuck, just ask someone. Step into the chatbox and say hi. Someone will talk to you.

:MJ