another legal thread

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by Gruelius, May 25, 2011.

1. Gruelius

Gruelius MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2009
    Hey all

if we have Lenovo machines all with valid COA OEM xp keys, could i legally use SLP activation using the lenovo oembios and slp key?

Sorry for another thread, i just have to be pedantic as it is a medium size business. we dont have a VLK key for XP.

Thanks

2. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
  3. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    If the machine has a sticker on it you're legally allowed to run that OS on that machine. Technical details of how you activate it are irrelevant.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    Not exactly true, you also have system-builder OEM licenses and NON-SLP licenses, such a license in theory never can be legally activated using the OA 1.0 technique as this technique is only available to the Big OEM Partners

5. mikemelancholic

mikemelancholic MDL Novice

Aug 21, 2008
    I figure I'd hijack this thread instead of starting a whole new one...

I have another legality question. Maybe someone can enlighten me because I get conflicting information on the following issue. Here's my scenario:
    I work at a local computer shop. We do sales and service/repairs. We sell used, off-lease laptops. I have a group of Lenovo S9 netbooks, each with their own XP Home COAs. I have acquired a factory OS disc from Lenovo, which of course is SLP pre-activated with Lenovo's own key. My question is, can I legally sell these netbooks? I was told that I'd have to include an original OS disc with each machine. I don't have 10 original OS discs to bundle with these. I was also told that alternatively, we could join Microsoft's refurbisher program and pay them $$ for a refurb COA and disc for each machine. We just don't do the volume that would justify joining that program IMO. Any thoughts or insights on this subject?

6. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    New from Lenovo they didn't have the install disc. Who told you it's required, the end customer can obtain it from Lenovo if they want. Probably if you do a factory install it will let them burn their own.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...