Another Sleep problem

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by mowerman, Mar 21, 2011.

1. mowerman

mowerman MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2010
    Reinstalled Windows 7 a few weeks ago and am now having issues with the sleep function. I have it set to go to sleep after 30 mins of inactivity and it will go to sleep by itself or if I press the sleep button. If I then press the on/off button on the front of my case it will wake up without any problems IF I do this within aprox 10 mins of it going to sleep. If I let it sleep any longer all it will do when the on/off button is pressed is spin up the fans and go to a black screen for an indeterminate amount of time. At which point I'm forced to hard reboot the machine and it will then boot normally. I've changed no hardware and made no changes to the Bios since reinstalling Windows 7. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

P.S. I'm using the latest video drivers, the same as before the reinstall.

2. mowerman

mowerman MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2010
    I'm not using a loader. Windows is activated and legal. It's a msdn version of W7 Ultimate x64

3. BobSheep

BobSheep MDL Guru

Apr 19, 2010
    Can you be sure the installation DVD you have is clean and not pre-hacked? That is the basis of my findings.

4. mowerman

mowerman MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2010
    Absolutely.

5. HAL

HAL MDL Novice

Nov 6, 2009

Have you checked in Controlpanel/poweroptions/change when the computer sleeps? Also to wake from sleep with mouse requires a click, not just moving the mouse. Also try hitting any key on the keyboard to wake. If these don't work, check in device manager. Rightclick on the mouse select properties on the power management tab and make sure "allow this device to wake the computer" is checked.

Hope this'll help.

6. mowerman

mowerman MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2010
    HAL and acrsn,

I've clicked, hit enter, hit other keys and done just about anything I could to bring it out of sleep, nothing works. It comes out of sleep fine but it goes to a black screen and nothing else.

Hybrid sleep is set to off.

7. Berny

Berny MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Can you please detail what happens before getting to the black screen? Does it show the BIOS post? Does it show the windows hibernation resuming screen? Does it show the desktop or logon screen for a briefly amount of time? Also what's the laptop model?

8. mowerman

mowerman MDL Novice

Mar 9, 2010
    Thanks to all that have replied to this. I'm going to try everyone's ideas and get back to you with results. I must say that this is the most friendly and enthusiastically helpful sites around. I've have this same post in another popular forum for over 3 days with over 62 views and no one has offered any suggestions. Thanks again!

9. CarbonSplinter

CarbonSplinter MDL Novice

Aug 20, 2009
    I have this exact same problem, mines always done it though.
    Out of curiosity, what hardware do you have?
    Here, i have...
    AMD Phenom cpu (8750)
    nForce 750a chipset (Asus M3N72-D)
    9800GT
    Logitec g5 mouse
    2x Samsung spinpoint F3 hard drives in raid 0

Im led to believe its related to the AMD live feature in bios, and the nVidia Away mode driver.
    I though i cracked it by removing the awaymode driver, and disabling AMD live, but after about a week, it did it again :/