[Answered] After trying 3V66T key/pro upgrade go back to win10home?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by sjusjusju, May 15, 2017.

1. sjusjusju

sjusjusju MDL Novice

Jun 4, 2010
    Sorry if this has been dealt with in these forums somewhere - I already searched a lot here and could not get good enough results.

My issue is:

I have an HP desktop computer with windows 10 home (oem key), UEFI system.
    If I decide to use that generic -3V66T key to initiate an upgrade from home to pro (without being activated by this generic key, I know), will it be possible to just look around a little in my temporary windows 10 pro system and eventually go back to windows 10 home (simply using my original oem home key)?

If yes, can all of this be done without a fresh install?

I have several image backups (macrium etc.) of my activated windows 10 home system.
    Could I just forget about my excurse to windows 10 pro and recover from such an image backup and have my activated windows 10 home system back? (or at least be able to simply use the activation settings in windows and enter my original home key again).

I am sure, this is a question many people ask themselves and some will have checked it out.

Hope to hear some solid experience whether this is all a piece of cake or whether I will have a lot of trouble :)

Many thanks

2. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Nope, won't work to go back.

Yep, restored backup will be activated.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    As long as the Home key is only used on that machine, nothing to worry. Backup of Retail/OEM activated systems preserves activation.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. sjusjusju

sjusjusju MDL Novice

Jun 4, 2010
    Excellent - that is good to hear.
    Now maybe I will dare a trip to windows 10 professional with that generic key.
    And yes, the home key would not be used on any other system.

Thanks again.