[Answered] Can Windows 10 Pro be clean installed on Laptop with OEM Windows 10 Home?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Deleted member 773088, Aug 21, 2018.

On newer UEFI Windows 10 OEM laptops the license key is embedded in BIOS and it defines the edition of Windows 10 being either Home or Pro (and possibly OEM too).

My question is if I have a laptop with say OEM Windows 10 Home. Now if I wipe all partition and do a clean install of Windows 10 downloaded from MS, will it allow me to select the edition during installation?

Or will it still pick up the Home key from BIOS and proceed automatically with installation of Home edition (as I believe the installer is still a single file consisting of Home + Pro)

Do newer laptops that have say OEM Windows 10 Home key in BIOS, Windows 10 installer offer the flexibility to still install Windows 10 Pro edition and later activate it separately with a Windows 10 Pro key later?

I am looking at a clean install method and not an upgrade. Thank you.

1. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
  2. Thank you. Just a related question, with this modified ei.cfg will the installer directly install Pro edition or will it as well throw the selection screen where I can choose Home or Pro and then proceed accordingly?

What do the codes _Default and VL = 0 stand for?

3. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...