[Answered] Is using Office with a modern Onenote version but without an MS account possible?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Office' started by Returner777, Apr 21, 2021.

1. Returner777

Returner777 MDL Novice

Aug 5, 2019
    So I used to use Office 2019, which served me fine for the most part, especially since it operates offline, but after reinstalling Windows, I wonder whether getting an Office version with a more up-to-date version of Onenote is possible (I remember Office 2019 using Onenote 2016, right?) but without having to use a Microsoft Account.
    I understand 365 and the MS Store versions are probably up-to-date but as many others, I am not exactly delighted to use a MS account, I am not using one for Windows so I am not fond of the idea to use one for Office either. But this is a forum full of MS "hacks" and workarounds so I thought I'd just ask. :)

Basically my criteria are:

1. Being able to use it offline without a Microsoft account, unless I want to use one, at some point. (because I understand syncing notebooks between devices would need one, if I can do that and still not use a MS account, even better).

2. Getting the latest Onenote features and improvements. Onenote is important to me, so If I could use a modern version offline, great.

3. Taking as little hard disk space as possible. That's less important than 1). and 2). but I basically only care about Word, Onenote and to a lesser degree about Excel and Powerpoint and that's it.

Which Office version should I go for?

2. Returner777

Returner777 MDL Novice

Aug 5, 2019
    How nice of you to gather all this information in one place for me, greatly appreciated! I've already started studied but I've got a few questions.

But does that apply to the desktop version (Onenote 2016), only? I've figured since the App version is already installed in Windows 10, maybe giving it a go and see how I like it, then I was greeted with the Microsoft account prompt. Would that registry hack also deal with it so I could also use the App version without an account?
    Btw, I am reading some Office 2019 Pro ISO come with the desktop version (like the one I had download/used previously), some the App (which probably isn't the best idea, since I already got that one pre-installed on Windows anyway, especially if I can't use it without a MS account) and some have none which is confusing.
    I think I saw somewhere that the switch between the 2016 desktop version and the App was made in March 2020, so does that mean I should avoid latter ISOs and just go for an older one instead?

An older version having more features wouldn't be a first, but it isn't exactly the norm either. Any important differences / omissions especially when it comes to Word and Onenote, seeing these are the only programs I really care about? Also, since I mainly care about these, If I install these only (I see some of the tools you've linked give you the option), would I be able to merely add Excel or Powerpoint down the road if I ever need them or would that open a new can of worms? I don't even remember how much disk space they take to decide whether it's negligible enough to just install everything and be done with it.

Looks like either "WOTOK AutoIT" or "YAOCTRI" is the way to go, do I understand correctly that these are all-in-one solutions, from downloading the iso all the way to activate Office, so converting retail to volume, as well as activating it with KMS_VL_ALL isn't needed / is sort of deprecated now?

Thanks a lot for your input once again! :)

3. Sajjo

Sajjo MDL Member

Feb 6, 2018
    OneNote for Windows 10 (app version) stores files on OneDrive, OneNote 2016 (desktop version) can store files locally.
    You can have them both, regkey will work for desktop version but not for app version.
    Offline only = desktop version.

Apples and Oranges :D, to be honest i can't say. If you address that specific in Office 2019 thread you will get a good answer.

Both WOTOK and YAOCTRI is excellent tools, there are more tools as well so try them all if you like.
    You can customize your installation, you can add additional apps later.

If KMS activating then KMS_VL_ALL_AIO is a swiss knife, retail 2 volume conversion is included.

4. Returner777

Returner777 MDL Novice

Aug 5, 2019
    I went with WOTOK and got me the latest 2019 Volume version, all good and it comes with Onenote 2016 (desktop version). Any chance it left the Office ISO anywhere in my system? Because while Office folders in Program Files seem to take 2.80 gb of space, I've actually noticed around 6 gb missing, any ideas?
    Then activated with KMS_VL_ALL_AIO. Kaspersky complained for malware, but I suppose (and reading that) getting it from the official mirror found here means it's a false positive.
    Should I also whitelist "C:\Windows\System32\SppExtComObjHook.dll" as it suggests? Any issues if I don't do that? Does choosing autorenewal mean I'll have an extra service running 24/7?

5. Returner777

Returner777 MDL Novice

Aug 5, 2019
    Nah, I didn't want ISO files necessarily, job is done so I am good. No files in my downloads either so probably no leftovers.

I remember in the past I was re-activating manually every 180 days, this time I thought I'd go the autorenewal route. Do these approaches differ when it comes to services running i.e does choosing autorenewal mean I'll have an extra service running 24/7? Even if it does, I guess the footprint would be negligible, but I am trying to keep them to a minimum. :)

Yes, I use Kaspersky (the paid version, mind you!) and in general I've found out it rarely gives false positives, especially compared to something like Avast, but it seems this is an exception.

Thanks for your help. When it comes to seasoned regulars in forums, there are usually two kinds of people: Some are extremely hostile against people asking stuff (to be fair, sometimes a bit rightfully so, since lots of info can be found in sticky threads etc.) and some patient and nice enough to provide help, even if a question has been answered before.
    You belong in a third category who does just that, but also keeps smiling while doing so. Greatly appreciated, hope karma takes notice! :)

6. Sajjo

Sajjo MDL Member

Feb 6, 2018
    #8 Sajjo, May 6, 2021
    Last edited: May 6, 2021
    No, the KMS Activation Interval is executed by the OS itself, interval timing value is set on the client with slmgr.vbs /sai <interval in minutes> if you want to override default settings. Range is min 15 min up to max 30 days.
    KMS_VL_ALL_AIO use default setting, the footprint is indeed negligible, don't remember exact but byte exchange is 200-300 bytes. Once a week.

:hug2:
    Edit:
    See correction in next post:)

7. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    Activation and Renewal Intervals are controlled and set by KMS Server (per activation request), the client cannot change it on its own :)

i.e. if using KMS_VL_ALL
    - change the default intervals in settings
    - activate