[Answered] Licensing in a VM

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by bobplop, Oct 23, 2021.

1. bobplop

bobplop MDL Novice

Sep 10, 2009
    Situation: a new pc with window 11 installed.
    My old pc with windows 7 installed.

Has been running for 6 years ( registered with "Daz loader2.2.1 "),
    sorting out which apps and settings etc to migrate/reinstall to the new OS takes some time.

The "old" pc will eventually get a new life with a ssd and a fresh OS ( goes to a friend ).

Although i lack experience with running a VM, i figured it would be nice to have my old win 7 install migrate to a VM so i'd be able to use it if need be.

But i am reading that running an existing copy in a VM requires a license if the current license ( on the old machine ) is OEM, which it is.( Ultimate).

My question: Could i use Daz loader to get a new registration on the copy on the VM?
    Or does Microsoft check its server and sees this copy was installed earlier?

I can buy a license online,but according to the seller is it possibly not going to work, the new license being OEM.

Thanks

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    You can re-run DAZ' Windows Loader on the VM, MSFT can't check anything.

3. bobplop

bobplop MDL Novice

Sep 10, 2009
    Great, although, excuse my ignorance, but i just thought: doesn't the loader interact with the bios?
    If so, would this not be a problem from within a VM?

4. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    The loader emulates the slic when it doesn't find a valid slic inside the bios, and this kind of activating it 100% offline and can't be tracked or detected by MSFT.

5. bobplop

bobplop MDL Novice

Sep 10, 2009
    Thanks for your help, should have come here sooner, i spent hours trying to find an answer.
    Cheers

6. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
  7. bobplop

bobplop MDL Novice

Sep 10, 2009
    Right, might there be another dl link? i don't torrent; oldschool usenet user:oops:

8. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Look for mirrors by @LostED :)

9. bobplop

bobplop MDL Novice

Sep 10, 2009
  10. bobplop

bobplop MDL Novice

Sep 10, 2009
    Thank you :clap3:

11. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Virtualization software virtualizes hardware. That includes firmware (BIOS, UEFI), otherwise, VMs wouldn't start in the virtual environment.

This is an important difference between Emulation and Virtualization. An Emulator emulates the complete software environment, but it's not truly the real deal, just a good mimicry (a good example is DOSBox).
    A virtualizer provides virtual hardware, but the software running on the virtual hardware is real. As a virtual computer wouldn't start without a BIOS/UEFI firmware (just like a real PC), it must be provided, too. And Daz' Loader usually works fine with it.

[/smartazz mode off]

12. bobplop

bobplop MDL Novice

Sep 10, 2009
    Thank you for explaining, had to read it a few times though before i got it.

13. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Yeah, I'm not the best teacher out there.

14. kdawg6969

kdawg6969 MDL Novice

Nov 14, 2021
    is DAZ loader activation completely offline?

I tried to install and activate win7 on the newest Z690 motherboard and Intel 12600k

and after installing DAZ, windows 7 is still not activated.

Not sure what settings to use for the latest hardware.

15. Yes, but it doesn't work with UEFI, unless You already have SLIC 2.1 signature inside your ROM.

In this case, You have to use BIOS or CSM, and MBR partition table (not GPT).

16. George King

George King MDL Expert

Aug 5, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. kdawg6969

kdawg6969 MDL Novice

Nov 14, 2021

yeah, i had my mobo in legacy/CSM and hard drive in MBR.

but this was the only computer I couldn't get activated.

all my old computers activated win7 just fine.

You should clear your partition table with KillDisk or something like this, then allow Windows 7 installer to recreate it (ie. do clean install).
    DAZ loader needs to create stub on the first (hidden) system partition. The stub injects SLIC 2.1 signature to BIOS/CSM on every system boot.

The stub is not needed however, when your BIOS already has SLIC 2.1 signature inside it.