[Answered] Trouble With Notepad

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by duster340, Jan 26, 2022.

1. duster340

duster340 MDL Junior Member

Jan 20, 2022
    I have a strange problem with Notepad so when I open it as Administrator its in its normal semi small format. Now when I attempt like I always did type C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts nothing happens. And if open using File Open it maximizes with no way of minimizing it. I used to have no problems getting to my hosts file using notepad but something has changed so I would appreciate some help on this one.Thank you!

2. ofernandofilo

ofernandofilo MDL Member

Sep 26, 2015
    hosts files is system protected file and needs administrative privilege to be changed. no news there.

cheers!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
  4. duster340

Jan 20, 2022
    I'm very familiar with hosts file its just notepad has gone bonkers on me. I thought maybe a setting in the registry might be something to look at but where does one begin. There is a free app called Hosts File Editor+ 1.5.10.exe which is super which I use now. I'm still confused why notepad does not work the way it use too? I guess I'll have to upload a image when its wide open which would make it easier to understand my problem. cheers mates

5. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Could you try hitting ALT, then hitting the spacebar, then hitting S. This should give you the opportunity to resize it using the keyboard arrow keys. Confirm with the RETURN key.

If you hit M instead of S, you can move the window, again, with the arrow keys, then RETURN.

This little system menu of every window exists since at least Windows 3.x.

6. asaltekan

asaltekan MDL Novice

May 24, 2016
    Personally, i never using notepad in admin mode, so i never found this problem.
    To edit host file, i usually make host file copy to other directory, like desktop, so i can edit it without admin privilages.
    After that, i replace original host file with edited one. For this you may need admin privilages to replacing it.

7. duster340

Jan 20, 2022
    @ Carlos thank you for what has now fixed my notepad. I'm very grateful for your input. Thanks again mate.

8. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
  9. daniellemill

daniellemill MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2022
    Try restarting your computer preferably 2 times and clear the cache! Perhaps this will help you!