[Answered] Which Linux Live CD/DVD should I choose?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by ThomasMann, Apr 9, 2017.

1. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    I want to have a Live disc with Linux on it, so in case I cannot get into Windows, I can use that way to clean up the mess.

Which shoud I use?

Thank You

2. kero48

kero48 MDL Novice

Apr 10, 2017
    Pretty avid linux user here and from my experience with many different distros I would suggest LUBUNTU since it's a light weight and very fast distro but has the support and core of ubuntu.

You can download unetbootin for windows and then the ISO for LUBUNTU and create a bootable USB key which makes life much easier than booting from a liveCD. Just my opinion though.

3. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Thank you both, I will have a look at both of them...

4. kero48

kero48 MDL Novice

Apr 10, 2017
    Anytime! By the way, you might want to learn a little bit more about linux and create a dual boot system which can be very helpfull in many different ways. I am not sure what windows OS you are using but with a little research you can get it done.

You would be surprised how enjoyable and worry free linux is once you get to learn it. Very little worries (almost none) of virii and malware and most systems run quicker and smoother with linux on it than windows.

If you want to learn more, PM for two great sites as I can't post them in this post it won't let me for some reason.

5. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    As I wrote, I will try and as it so happens, I will try again. My pervious attempts were rather unpleasant und already i wasted another hour after installing Mint, when I tried to add my Firefox profile.
    In the instructions it says: Go to home/user/mozilla, and so on, but when I get to home, there is no user....
    I dislike MS, but Win 7, does everything it is supposed to do very well.... You see my problem?

That is exactly what reminded me of previous attempts, And while it is nice here, in (several) Linux forums you get insulted for asking a question. Everybody can tell you that...

6. TT_ZX

TT_ZX MDL Novice

Aug 27, 2010
    Where it says "Go to home/user/mozilla" this is the absolute file path. When you say you get to home I think you are already at "/home/<user>/" where <user> is your username. Maybe there is a folder mozilla there or it could be .mozilla . The dot in front of the folder or file name will cause it to be hidden so you may not see it until you show hidden files/folders. Looks like those instructions are not very user friendly. Hopefully someone can offer better instructions on how to do what you want to do.

I know exactly what you are saying with regards to Win 7 vs Linux. I've used Linux on my servers for the last 15 years and have used it on some Desktops on and off in that time. Even now there are lots of things I find easier on Windows than Linux. And there are still a handful of applications that I need that won't run in Linux. I still prefer to use Linux for my Desktops now though because it's much more flexible and gets better every year. It's a steep learning curve coming from Windows though as under the surface Linux is very different than Windows and often requires a different approach to achieve what you want.

Best of luck and don't give up. You should be able to find people willing to help and ignore unhelpful trolls.

7. TinMan

TinMan MDL Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #8 TinMan, Apr 11, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    @TinMan very good info dude, I don't see this before very useful thanks :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    Qubes OS or Ubuntu LTS.