[Answered] while in RDP, how to reboot?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by xflbret, Jan 14, 2022.

1. xflbret

xflbret MDL Novice

Jul 27, 2011
    Hello all,

I've been googling and googling this. Apparently I can't hit the right search terms, because I keep getting what I don't want.

In the shop I support, most folks work from home, using RDP and a VPN to access their machine in the office. A handful of them, when trying to restart their office machine from RDP, don't get the shutdown/restart/logoff option. All they get is "disconnect". How in the world can I make it so this end user can reboot on demand?

Attached Files:

2. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    Alt f4

Or just use classic shell

3. sml156

sml156 MDL Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Open a command prompt as admin

Code:
    shutdown /r

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. JLBENEDICT

JLBENEDICT MDL Junior Member

Dec 5, 2013
    From your screenshot you have the "Power" icon. When you click that you "should" have "Sleep", "Shutdown", or "Restart" options pop up, no?. Unless you have some GPO settings locking you down.

or CMD prompt:
    shutdown /r /t 5 (<- or any other value after the /t switch to give you a delay)

or PowerShell:
    Restart-Computer -force

5. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Usually, Shutdown/Reboot won't show during an RDP session, for preventing to lock yourself out. Using shutdown -r or shutdown -s will get around that. But make sure it will come up fine after that.

6. fckgw

fckgw MDL Novice

Apr 8, 2010
    Control-alt-end shoud bring up the Windows Security screen over RDP. From there (unless forbidden by policy) you should have all the usual options (lock, sign out, change password...) including shutdown and reboot.

7. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    Guys really Alt+F4 is too simple for you?

No need to resort to other "exotic" methods if not really forced to

8. HPg42User

HPg42User MDL Novice

Sep 9, 2011
    Group Policy > Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Start Menu and Taskbar > Remove and prevent access to the Shut Down, Restart, Sleep, and Hibernate commands

You can probably push this policy from your DC, so the user doesn't have to do anything.