[Answered] Windows 10 LTSC vs Windows 10 22H2 Pro: The best choice?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Project Prisma, May 11, 2023.

1. Project Prisma

Project Prisma MDL Novice

May 10, 2023
    Hi,

what do you suggest between Windows 10 22H2 PRO and the 10 LTSC (2021) ?

My laptop support Windows 11 but i think that is a terrible system... and i decided to stay on 10 but i can't decide what is the best solution for me.

Best reliability? Best software support? Best overall?

Thanks!

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    I get the feeling i already have seen this before.

Just pick the one which suits you, when you don't need the store, uwp apps, etcetc.... go with (IoT) Enterprise 2021 LTSC, pro is not even an contestant, education or enterprise are.

3. maur0

maur0 MDL Senior Member

Aug 3, 2012
    you can use 10 iot enterprise ltsc support up to 2032, it is possible to install store if you need the rest same thing as pro

4. Project Prisma

Project Prisma MDL Novice

May 10, 2023
    Thanks to all

5. Dude Guyman

Dude Guyman MDL Senior Member

Jun 20, 2017
  6. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    #7 acer-5100, May 14, 2023
    Last edited: May 14, 2023

Isn't even a question to ask. Given the answer is so obvious.

LTSC is (mostly) a tool meant to serve the user. Pro is a troian horse in your house meant to serve MS.

Also I strongly suggest to avoid precooked scripts to eventually cleanup windows images.

If you want to follow the path of cleaning UP a Pro image, at least use a meaningful tool like MSMG, where the decisions on what to do are taken by you, not by the person who wrote the script.

7. Dude Guyman

Jun 20, 2017
    Normally, I would totally agree with that, as most scripts mess with things I don't want messed with, or that break other things, like completely removing System Restore or Defender, both of which I hate but, if you wipe them out instead of just disabling, the results are always bad...in my experience. So, I actually really like @wkeller's Slimdown10 a lot. Not only does it remove damned near everything I would had I wrote it, but it does about an hour worth of "after install" annoyance tweaking right to the ISO. Stuff like disabling Sticky Keys, Auto Play, etc. Saves me hours of BS after install.

That may just be that my view on how things should be happen to align with wkeller though, so as I said, it's a bit more of an "advanced user" thing where you'll want to look over the script and see what is going to happen first. Examples, it disables all windows sounds, I like them left alone, so I remove that part of the script. It changes to "classic notifications" (the little popup when you 'safely remove' a usb drive) I like the new version so I change that. MSMG is excellent too though, but you can very easily break things with it, so it requires just as much know how (trial and error), if not more to get what you want.

For anyone not wanting to do all that, then plain old LTSC would be my choice, though I even find LTSC to be way too bloated/invasive still.

8. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018

Defender is made to be removed easily. Win server has even the remove feature accessible by the GUI. So no problem at all if you remove it using DISM or install_wim_tweak.exe. On other things you are right.

Well, matter of opinions, I don't like it, I don't like how he behaves, I don't like the FUD he spreads against LTSX windows...

That's the only reasonable way to use it. A template for your own script.

Like I wrote many times assuming LTSC is clean, is a wrong assumption..

LTSC is cleanER. It's just a better starting point, with half of the cleanup work already done

9. Dude Guyman

Jun 20, 2017
    Yeah, it may have just been removing Defender also removed Firewall, which I like to keep. It's been ages since I fooled with that. I think system Restore was the bigger problem. I hate it and want it 100% gone but every time I try I get problems. I forgot what at this point, but yeah, it just has to be there and constantly turns itself back on even after the normal toggle=off, plus registry and gpedit tweaks telling it to F off!

10. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    @Dude Guyman

This is what I use since the stone age, to remove defender (in a clean way).

Just save it as something.cmd, put install_wim_tweak.exe in the same directory, and doubleklick on it

It works well from win7 to win10. (Likely it doesn't work on win 11, not tested personally)

11. #12 Deleted member 190847, May 15, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2023
    install_wim_tweak is closed source tool. So nobody know what it really does, but it is rather aggressive as there is no official way to remove Windows Defender or similar components
    You can only disable it in documented way.
    Somebody may don't care about this, but I experienced broken Windows Update when I aggressively removed components in the past.
    So I stopped doing it and restricted only to disabling them (via registry) what is safer way in case of Windows 10/11.
    We already has discussed it.

You don't like me personally, everybody knows. But not for technical reasons, just because a moderator removed many of your posts (that were reported mostly by other users, not by me).

12. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    It just does with a line, what would have required many dism commands (less than then in W8, more than 50 in the latest Windows 10).

I call it handy, feel free to call it aggressive

In server you remove it totally from the system (using the Gui), and you can remove the payload as well using dism.

Seem very official to me, in W10 someone removed the handle to open the door, which doesn't mean the door was removed as well.

Dism and WU will break anyway, being so picky lately. I can't see why should I care to not break something that will break anyway. I prefer to employ my time in more meaningful activities.

I consider the storage space a precious, no matter how cheap the SSD may be nowadays.

Larger footprints means larger backups, longer time transferring files, especially over the network, so I can't see why I should waste space keeping something that can be safely removed (and even in case it breaks something, in place upgrades are a think that works since the DOS days, with the difference that today everything works 99% of the time w.o any user intervention)

I never like people that refuse criticism and suggestions, especially when they resort to false facts to back their opinion. Which is what you did.
    Sure, not for technical reasons....:roflmao:
    I tested your script to make an update W7 ISO, and I never faced a test install so messed in my life.

Whatever I just stop here, as I don't want you derail this thread as well as you're used to.

13. #14 Deleted member 190847, May 15, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2023
    No they don't.
    Windows Update is working on every single Windows 7 and Windows 10 installation that I have.
    If it is broken for you, it is your fault.

Surely other users are wrong.
    And something is not up with my PC, laptop and other computers (company, family, etc), because everything is working for years.
    Unbelievable ;)

14. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    Sure WU is working, is applying the updates it downloads that breaks incredibly easily. And that speaking of a recent W10 or W7 that have "small" updates.
    When dealing with 2016 or 2016 with updates that (once unpacked) are 6GB or so and made by a zillion of files, the chances that something goes wrong are obviously higher.

Sure, it's my fault if every single client, friend or relative fights with WU troubles every 3/4 months.

I'm a newbie, and I never learned to deal with IT things in 40 years.

Thanks god now I have a good teacher that explain me how the world works. :biggrin5:

15. I am regularly using Windows Update on my company PCs with Windows 10. And it is installing Cumulative Updates, Office updates and device drivers with no issues.
    And we are talking of heavily modded OSes.
    So, no modding does not break updates. And if it does, it is done unprofessionally.

PS. I Microsoft messes up something, it is different story. But it is not related to OS modding at all.

16. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    No one said that modding breaks updates (other than you).

I said that updates are delicate by their own.

On good old versions (2015/2016) because the size they reached and the number of files to be replaced (it's just matter of statistics)

On 1809 and newer, because the new way updates are packaged and delivered, which is brilliant in theory, but very uneffective in practice.

17. pingu23

pingu23 MDL Novice

Apr 8, 2023
    How much RAM have inside on this computer?
    Never thinked a ram upgrade, except if it is soldered, in the mainboard?
    I think Windows 10 22H2 Home is enough if you want for normal use.

18. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018

Notebooks are limited (artificially) to 2GB of ram, some of them (usually the newest ones) are limited to 1GB because the ram is soldered and there are no additional slots.

19. pingu23

pingu23 MDL Novice

Apr 8, 2023
    It depend from the model of the computer and hardware specs.