Anti Virus slows down torrents

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Hannibal Lecter, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Hannibal Lecter

Hannibal Lecter MDL Senior Member

May 12, 2010
    I am using PIA VPN to download torrents.

As this works unacceptable slowly, I did some speedtests. :mad:

Without VPN down 39.01Mbps up 19.26Mbps (always average and Mbps)

With VPN down 0.57 up 1.1

and I finally tried as someone suggested

With VPN; but Avast Antvirus off 3.08 and up 2.16

Is there anything reasonable I can do to get a better download speed?
    In reality those numbers mean actual downloadspeeds of 60 to 150 kbps per torrent, at more than one torrent, one of them can drop to 20kbps....

I had a one week long support discussion with PIA, which ended up with the above data (it was worse before), it is all that is possible from their side.

Any Ideas?

Thanks....

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Seems to be that the main handycap is the VPN while the AV has some bad effect as well but as much as VPN!

While using VPN, you didn't download anything directly from Source to Target, you do it from Source to VPN Server to Target or may other "Stations" between! It's the Server at least who's "eating" the speed and that's depend on the Server OS, the Hardware, the Drivers of that Server, the protocols used and more!

Conclusion: if you really like to get high speed, use direct downloads from Source to Target, without anything between!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Hannibal Lecter

May 12, 2010
    That is of course true....

But my question is: Is there anything that can be done about, and, does everybody have the same slowdown? Because in all the discussions about VPN, these slowdowns do get mentioned, but the honest number of in the end "90% less speed" never turns up...

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Just use direct downloads and NOT VPN for it. By the way, the same decline in speed I was get while testing with anonymous Proxy!

And why you've to use VPN?

Technically the speed of transferred data via the internet decline in amount of used Hops which are by direct download let say 18 and use with VPN maybe double or even more. Each of that hops needs hie own time and also not forget the the time need to bypass the VPN-Server Security!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Hannibal Lecter

May 12, 2010
    Elementary dear watson....

It is very hard to avoid downloading occiasonally, even unintentionally, something illegal.

Doing this in Japan however can get you two years in jail....

6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    In that case it seems to be that you've bad card's in this "Game"!