Antivirus for windows server 2003 SP!

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by kmrspk, Sep 3, 2010.

Tags:
  1. kmrspk

kmrspk MDL Novice

Sep 3, 2010
    Hi,

I want to know where i can get a good free / Pirated antivirus for windows 2003 server SP1.

Please tell me.

Thanks.

2. joykill

joykill MDL Novice

Mar 5, 2009
    I like trendmicros housecall. Its an online service, and free. Im not that big into antivirus though, so im not sure its good. Ive never suffered any virus troubles though, so it probably does something right :)

3. nefarious

nefarious MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2009
    I run clam antivirus on all my 2003 production servers. Works well and is free.

4. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    With no real-time protection? In production?

sebus

5. b166er

b166er MDL Junior Member

Sep 9, 2009
    I have to agree with no real-time in most small office server environments. Only one user should be able to execute code on a server and that user should be the domain admin (and even then, only when logged on locally). If your domain admin (who only ever logs on as domain admin when a piece of software MUST be installed) doesn't know how to avoid infecting your servers, then you're hosed sooner or later anyway.
    The one exception to this would be real-time scanning of an Exchange database.
    I could go so far as to say no real-time on workstations too, if you lock them down well enough, but never underestimate the ingenuity of stupidity :)

6. deMarchi

deMarchi MDL Junior Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Symantec, McAfee, F-Secure, ESET, AVG, Avast - all of them available to find.
    For exchange
    Symantec Mail Security
    GFI Mail Security
    Microsoft Protectors
    McAfee Security for Email Servers
    etc

7. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    And all the services that do run with various system privileges, plus (if the server is used as fileserver) all the shared files to which various users have access.
    On the server the real time does NOT affect ONLY the server console session, think about it!

Luckily not everybody uses Exchange! There are way better mail systems, including and/or especially for SMB

That would require locking it so much as making it totally unusable, best way just to not give users any access to workstations at all.

8. deMarchi

Nov 7, 2009
    sebus, what are these mail systems?

9. deMarchi

Nov 7, 2009
  10. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    I use hMailServer, Free Windows Mail Server, lightweight, easy to administrate, active community

11. ttinlv

ttinlv MDL Novice

Dec 2, 2010
    There's an installation mod in the workstation2008.com forum for getting AVG (rumored to work with Avast) to have AVG installation program believe it is installing on a workstation OS (XP, Vista) instead of server