Antivirus Test Results for Windows 10

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Katzenfreund, Jan 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
  2. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    vipre.. never heard of it..thank you. a pity that it is not free..downloaded the off-line tool, ran it, though not in safe mode, i could not be bothered, looked just like good old dos.. and bloody slow..waited patient like cat for detections.. that is the best solution imho, use it just once, if no detections move on to another one; it will not find anything if first scan failed to find anything. .i tend to think they are a bunch of scammers selling paid software.. i tried umpteen of them, only free ones of course, most were duds..;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    ˄˄
    They’re not duds nodnar, but an experienced surfer like you using a secure system like Windows 10, can’t expect to collect much malware.

Actually, the only malware alarm I got after a very long time, was not thru scanning but directly after downloading an update to freeware “Free File Sync”. And I’ve stopped bothering with ad hoc scans, as Avira automatically does a quick occasional scan, not that it ever finds anything.

This comes in contrast to when I was a beginner with my XP, when I was collecting the stuff by the bucketful.

4. JarrahBenida

JarrahBenida MDL Novice

Jan 31, 2018
    Windows 8.1 is much more better

5. dhruvenjoy

dhruvenjoy MDL Member

Nov 27, 2010
    Surprising that mcafee got full marks. Other two - vipre and kaspersky are one of the best

6. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    :g: guess what,when i tried that it was under w7. and now that i am on w 10.[ not voluntarly, my w7 desktop is stored], i would not call it secure at all.uncontrollable, for the average user, yes. but secure?? hardly.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
  8. sid_16

sid_16 MDL Giveaway Organiser

Oct 15, 2011
    Has MS recently started bribing the independent AV test organisation to outnumber other established AV software companies?:thinking:

9. dhjohns

dhjohns MDL Guru

Sep 5, 2013
    You say that about MS, but if it were any other company, you would believe it without question.

10. iota

iota MDL Junior Member

Aug 13, 2014
    you say serious point this time around. i actually have serious issue with one unnamed security company. it's on the test list. win defender might be an option some cases. i say this as a big critic of microsoft.

11. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    I don't use MS Windows Defender, but my info from other sources is that it has been getting steadily better recently and may well be up to the standard of the premium AVs.

If and when this happens, we can expect well established names to start disappearing.

12. Dark Knight

Dark Knight MDL Senior Member

Jul 14, 2013
    #12 Dark Knight, Mar 31, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2018
    It really perturbs me when people make statements like this.

There is not a totally secure OS to be found, yes that includes Mac and Linux, In recent years we have been seeing just how "secure" Macs really are and the truth about Linux is just starting to surface. Windows just happens to be the most popular OS in the world so yes it's security issues will be more prevalent in the news, but believe you me, both Mac and Linux have their issues also, but being as they don't have the market shares and user base that Windows does people tend to think they are impenetrable, take my word for it, they are not, there are just not enough of them out there for those that like to do evil to operating systems to bother with.

Windows Defender? It is just as good as any paid antivirus you can waste your money on, if not better, all without all the useless crapola these paid antivirus's have been adding to their software. Don't believe what all the paid antivirus fanboys say, someone has to go around an generate sales for these antivirus companies.
    I would safely say that in the next five years or so, paid antivirus for Windows anyway will go the way of the a do-do- bird.

13. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    @ perturbed dark knight; well, my dear perturbed fellow member,
    i am really sorry that i contributed to your perturbation.
    for my part, i get a little sad that you felt perturbed enough
    to give us a lecture on perturbing operating systems.
    since this thread was originally about virusscanners, remember?
    so none of this perturbing effort was needed.
    i merely reacted on a remark that i should use a `secure`operating
    system like windose 10.. da ladna..

so perturbed amigo, you have been promoted to my ignore list, not the
    first time you are trolling me, not by no means. and you are in select
    company, because no one else managed that before.

unperturbed respects from the walrus.:D

14. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @Dark Knight: My first knee-jerk reaction would be to tell you to piss off, coming into this forum -and- thread, trying to preach to the choir.
    I happen to know nodnar personally. Let's just say he knows -quite- a lot about security issues and leave it at that.

There are no OS 'fanbois' here (Well...there's one or two...You get to figure out who(m). :dunno:)

Never make the mistake of underestimating the power or skill set of another. I've seen many master martial artists get their heads handed to them.
    All because of arrogance.

Oh, in response to your signature:

"Your karma ran over my Dogma." :D

Have fun. :bye1:

15. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    I think it is time to close this thread :(