Any benefit from Win10 created Storage Space vs Win2012R2 created Storage Space?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by MrChris, Nov 25, 2015.

1. MrChris

MrChris MDL Addicted

Jun 23, 2007
    I have a 4TB 2drive mirror that was created a while back using Storage Spaces on the Windows Server 2012 server that the drives sit in. I am considering moving this personal home server from the 2012r2 server box to another smaller form factor case/mobo etc.. that is running win10. The storage spaces mirror is about 85% full of my misc data. from what I have read it sounds like storage spaces has improved over the years. Stability of the mirror is more important than the feature set provided by storage spaces in general and the small form factor case does not allow me to add a raid card.

My question is, Is there any benefit or good reason for recreating the storage space using win10? From what I have read the win10 storage space should be able to import the 2012 storage space just fine. I'm just trying to avoid having to move the data off the drives so that I can recreate the storage space since its a lot of data and will take forever.

Thanks,

~MC

2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Really? Go from Server 2012 R2 to Windows 10? Strange decision...
    Anyhow, you would need to have FULL backup before mirror import (would you ever be 100% sure that such move will succeed 100% ?)

3. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    #3 T-S, Nov 26, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
    Use DrivePool not that cheap and dangerous imitation. It works on any Windows from 7 onwards, no matter if desktop or server, and has an huge list of advantages over SS.

4. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    #4 endbase, Nov 26, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
    Indeed also find it strange to go from server 2012 R2 to windows 10 ! I have both windows server 2012 R2 on my server machine and windows 10 on mij main rig ! If you would use windows 10 as server how do you think you gonne serve files on the internet for example ? XAMPP ? Not realy a better setup. But after all it is your choice offcourse ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. MrChris

MrChris MDL Addicted

Jun 23, 2007
    Thanks for the feedback. I was more or less looking for pros/cons or benefits if any since most of what I read relates to most people talking about how immature storage spaces is in its infant stage, but most of those articles are from 2011 and older. Either way, I understand peoples comments on saying things like "why would you go from server based os to a client based os?" Etc.. but I'm not serving any public access data at all. At most 5'ish home clients will be accessing share based data etc.

I guess I was looking for any real benefits from recreating the mirror set?

Either way thanks for the feedback!

~MC

6. noobixent

noobixent MDL Novice

Sep 4, 2009
    I'm still waiting for forced rebalancing feature on Storage Spaces. I heard when you run out of space, you will end up needing about as much capacity to expand your current setup. I would want to be able to add one drive at a time and be able to rebalance the load.

7. MacAddict01

MacAddict01 MDL Member

Mar 3, 2011
    I've had less than a stellar experience using Storage Spaces for the past couple of months at a beta site. I've got a setup thats basically a JBOD with no resiliency setup and seeing random NTFS corruption. None of the drives are going bad with bad sectors but it's certainly not as stable as I had hoped. Just my experience so far.

8. MrChris

MrChris MDL Addicted

Jun 23, 2007
    In my case I'm using basic mirror type setup with 2 identical drives. I have an older Adaptec pci-e 5405 raid controller which i am considering using. Iv never had any luck with jbod under any setup. Redundancy is important and I am limited to 2 3.5" sata drives for the mirror (itx case limitation).