Any Bootcamp users out there?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by jhanford, Oct 30, 2014.

1. jhanford

jhanford MDL Novice

Aug 28, 2013
    I had both releases running on my Mid-2014 MacBook Pro (16GB, 1TB SSD) and had constant issues whenever a heavy disk access process occurred, such as copying a file or installing something. Basically, everything would freeze for about 5 seconds. The mouse would still move, but anything I clicked on would not respond. Then, it would all back again and any delayed clicks would fire. Due to this, I've gone back to 8.1 where it is completely stable.

Something tells me it's a driver issue - both times (Windows 8.1 and 10) I'm installing the Bootcamp 5.1 drivers.

Has anyone else experienced this on a Mac? Anyone running on Bootcamp WITHOUT issues? Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks all!

2. WardocsRevenge

WardocsRevenge MDL Expert

Jan 13, 2012
    i run a hackintosh and used bootcamp to install windows 10 build 9860 and i don't have this issue and it's not a boot camp issue it's a hdd issue it needs replacing

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. jhanford

jhanford MDL Novice

Aug 28, 2013
    It's not an issue with the HDD - it's all working fine under Windows 8.1. I'm only getting the issue under Windows 10

4. Geoffrey84

Geoffrey84 MDL Novice

Apr 3, 2009
    #4 Geoffrey84, Oct 30, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
    You're not alone. I'm having the same issues with my rMBP 13" (late 2013 model).

I performed a clean installation of Windows Technical Preview Build 9860 (created from the ESD update package) on a Boot Camp partition and have run into several issues:
    - The BootCamp.exe file must be run in Windows 8 compatibility mode to prevent loop startups
    - The Intel HD 5100 Graphics driver must be modified to allow manual installation on this operating system after having restarted in Repair mode to allow the installation of unsigned drivers
    - Several program installations failed during the "Creating shortcuts" phase and had to be terminated via the Task Manager. Luckily, I was able to install MS Office 2010 without incident, but numerous small programs wouldn't load without restarting and trying again. The majority of these failed installations were with x86 programs. For some reason my rMBP 15" model isn't suffering from this issue, so I'm not sure if it has something to do with the PCIe interface or due to some program I've installed on one system and not the other.
    - Some Windows processes are running in the background with an abnormally high CPU load (Windows host process, search indexer and hosts)
    - Startup times are intermittently high, with a black screen that takes forever to change to the Lock Screen so I can sign in
    - When copying large files between partitions, the File Explorer stalls in mid-transfer and the Task Bar buttons become unresponsive for several seconds before the transfer continues. I'm worried that my SSD is being destroyed somehow and am not sure what Write Caching policies to set in the Device Manager (I have both options checked).

If anyone has advice as to why program installations are stalling I'd be grateful!

5. jhanford

jhanford MDL Novice

Aug 28, 2013
    I might take some time to install Window 10 9860 again this weekend. This time I will try to source drivers without using the Bootcamp installer. Not sure how practical that will be, but it might mean having a more stable system (?)

6. Geoffrey84

Geoffrey84 MDL Novice

Apr 3, 2009
    I've found the best way to install troublesome programs is to run the setup file in Windows Compatibility mode. This allows Windows to select the most appropriate installation mode (which varies between programs) and in most cases results in a successful installation. If the program hangs momentarily while copying files, I've found that if I open up File Explorer and navigate to the appropriate program folder location, Explorer hesitates a bit and then displays the files in the selected folder while the installation completes.