Any current motherboards support secure boot?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by yngdiego, Jul 28, 2012.

1. yngdiego

yngdiego MDL Member

Feb 14, 2008
    I'm looking to build my own PC, and I'd like to get a motherboard that supports Windows 8 Secure boot. I tried to call Asus, and the pre-sales guy was clueless and told me a model that didn't even have a TPM so I know he was way wrong.

2. cpt.kernel

cpt.kernel MDL Novice

May 21, 2010
    Why secure boot on a diy system?To my knowledge this only will effect a prebuilt systems,say from dell or hp possibly.But who knows,maybe they will see how ridiculous it
    is and disable from the get go.However im sure there has been many discussions on the forums about it.:biggrin:

3. yngdiego

yngdiego MDL Member

Feb 14, 2008
    Why? Because it adds security to Windows. The better question is who would NOT want better security? Seems like a no brainer to want it. I won't build/buy a system without it.

4. cpt.kernel

cpt.kernel MDL Novice

May 21, 2010
    Try Gigabyte.They have great boards and if you drop them a line im sure they can help.They have uefi support on there newer boards.Hope this helps?

5. brut7

brut7 MDL Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Just get a board with EUFI, it's awesome. What your asking for is NOT a good thing for the enthusiast, it just locks out the use of anything other than windows (like linux or hackintosh) and prevents things like grub loaders which are very usefull. If you still decide it's something you must have, you probably will have to buy an OEM machine loaded with win8.

Gigabyte, Asus, MSI; all good stuff currently.

Best Wishes

6. bchat

bchat MDL Smart Azz

Nov 7, 2008
    #6 bchat, Jul 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. yngdiego

yngdiego MDL Member

Feb 14, 2008
    Ya I saw ASRock got certified, but from the reviews and features I wasn't overly enthused about their products. I'm a big Asus fan, but can't find any concrete information about which MBs support secure boot.

8. bchat

bchat MDL Smart Azz

Nov 7, 2008
    #8 bchat, Jul 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. lo6o

lo6o MDL Novice

Feb 8, 2008
    I own a Asus P8Z77-V and the lastest bios 1406 it does support secure boot, however it is strange that asus removed this bios from the download
    here some screen:

0.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

10. yngdiego

yngdiego MDL Member

Feb 14, 2008
  11. EGOvoruhk

EGOvoruhk MDL Novice

Jul 21, 2009
    By what, preventing you from installing another OS, or updating your BIOS? I wasn't aware anyone needed that kind of protection. Most malware is software based, and secure boot will do nothing to stop those kinds of threats. Secure boot is PRE-Windows "security", and I use the term security loosely

12. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
  13. yngdiego

yngdiego MDL Member

Feb 14, 2008
    Asus now has a BIOS update available for their P8Z77M-Pro that supports secure boot. I also got a TPM module for 'measured boot' as well, and all seems to be working.

14. blanco64

blanco64 MDL Novice

Oct 6, 2012
    Thanks yngdiego. Will try the P8Z77M-Pro. Looking forward to the secured boot enhancements on Windows 8. I think its a fantastic step my Microsoft to ensure integrity of the boot process at least till the ELAM drive kicks in. I just wish they had made the ELAM functionality more robust and actually usable. With the way it is now, most AV vendors can't use it.

TPM meaured boot has interesting use-cases for the enterprise. I am not sure what used it would be for a home user. Maybe banks might start using it ?

I also agree with the other post about the amazing amount of FUD on secure boot. If you buy your own motherboard, you can install whatever you want on it. Nothing about secure boot prevents you from installing Linux, CrackUx, MacCrack etc.

15. Falco313

Falco313 MDL Novice

Jul 24, 2009
    SABERTOOTH Z77 :p

16. =)(=

=)(= Guest

I wonder if there must be a TPM chip on the moderboard for UEFI Secure Boot to work.

I chatted with Intel support and he replied:

There was a new BIOS released for my Intel board last night that adds Secure Boot options. But others have reported that Secure Boot is broken and that PC will not POST when it is turned on.

Some guy also claimed that there must be a TPM chip for Secure Boot to work. My motherboard has no TPM chip, but i hope that Intel support is right and that i will be able to use Secure Boot once the POST issue gets fixed by Intel BIOS team.

So, is TPM a requirement or just optional for additional features?

Thanks.

17. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    TPM is not required.