Any detailed info about these updates?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Super Spartan, Nov 5, 2015.

1. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Super Spartan

Super Spartan MDL Expert

May 30, 2014
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Engineer2k2

Engineer2k2 MDL Member

Jun 21, 2012
    This is dangerous if M$ starts camouflaging such things with security updates.:eek:

4. Engineer2k2

Engineer2k2 MDL Member

Jun 21, 2012

Unless it is confirmed through testing we should not doubt on M$. Telemetry has created much suspicion and confusion among the general users with regard to updates these days.:sneaky:

5. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    Considering that "that 1 answer" was written by the author of DWS ( or at least the owner of the DWS repository ) my answer to you is either trust him or uninstall DWS.

Or YOU could do the legwork yourself and disassemble those update files and see for yourself.
    Yeah, I didn't think so.

6. Trickz

Trickz MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2015
    I knew that something was wrong with those updates i even asked in repository thread if anybody had some strange machine behaviour after installing them.
    After two weeks of weird slowdowns, long loading web pages and lot of busy cursors i started uninstalling october update batch one by one and after removing those three my pc was working normally again.
    Now that i see this i find it a bit too much of a coincidence.

7. foxyrick

foxyrick MDL Member

Aug 25, 2011
    I'm not one to buy into conspiracy theories; never have been.

However, given just how much governments and big businesses want all our data these days, the lengths they have been shown to go to to obtain it, and Microsoft's own (proven/admitted/written in TOS) behaviour in such matters, I really believe that "shoot first, ask questions later" is more appropriate with MS updates now.

Don't doubt Microsoft? I once bought DR-DOS because it was better than MS-DOS. I also bought Windows 3.1. Then Bill Gates thought it was fair game to sabotage Windows if it found it was running on DR-DOS. Trust MS? Not in a million years. Their track record is deplorable.

8. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
    LOL. Don't forget that Bill Gates also STOLE the user interface for Windows 1.0 from Steve Jobs, who had named it "Lisa".

9. Skaendo

Skaendo MDL Addicted

Sep 23, 2014
    I keep telling people that but they don't believe me. I also believe that M$ has NEVER had an original idea. Every part of Windows is modeled after something from Mac or Linux.

10. foxyrick

foxyrick MDL Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Yeah, I remember Lisa. I was never sure whether it was GEM (Graphical Environment Manager) that was the first though... from Digital Research Inc.

I do remember using it, and thinking, "What's it for though?". No apps for it then, lol.

11. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    I don't know about the other 2 (they were never offered as an update to me) but the KB3042058 totally screwed up FireFox for me so bad that I went over to Chrome. FF just went nuts and would never fully load a page, and when it did the page would be all screwed up. I did the same and started to uninstal the latest updates one by one. KB3042058 was the first one I uninstalled and low and behold FF ran perfect again. Thank God for that I hate Chrome.

12. foxyrick

foxyrick MDL Member

Aug 25, 2011
    #15 foxyrick, Nov 9, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
    I remember seeing all three on my last update, and I let them in having checked the details. I've since seen this thread and uninstalled them.

Funny thing was that at the time I was updating, I actually wondered if/when MS were going to start putting 'extras' in such things as security updates.

I did not notice any problems after installing* the updates, or since removing them. Firefox is all I use.

* I did have a (quite rare for me) BSOD the day after installing, but only once and I can't say it was anything to do with the updates. Hmm... I also recall, now, that Firefox did crash out twice a few days ago (before I uninstalled), but it occasionally does that anyway.

Not enough evidence, but I'm working on the side of caution.

13. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Another strange thing is that Secunia PSI (which watches over security updates in Win, too) seems to ignore those three, at least for now.

14. Palladin

Palladin MDL Senior Member

Feb 1, 2014
    #17 Palladin, Nov 10, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
    I've been having the exact same problem with FireFox. One day it worked fine, now it won't load pages. I have to stop the page that is trying to be loaded, refresh it, and it will then load fine. I thought it might be PeerBlock, or Flash, or maybe some entry in the HOSTS file. Another problem was that Windows would hang on shutdown. It was a mess.

I just checked and I don't have KB3042058 instaled, but I *do* have KB3088195 and KB3093983 installed. I'll uninstall them and report back if FF is acting normal again.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Edit: After some more searching I found mention of another possible problem update, KB3093513.

I figured I'd uninstall them one by one and monitor what happened. The first one I uninstalled was KB3093513 and after a restart, FireFox loaded pages just like it was supposed to. I reactivated Flash, and reinstalled PeerBlock. Then loaded a bunch of web pages. I ended up setting up everything back as it was before the update was installed, and it seems FireFox is back to working again. I haven't removed the other two updates yet, because I want to see if this one was the cause of all the problems. BTW, I didn't think it was a FireFox problem, because I had the same problems with IE.

And not 5 minutes after I uninstalled KB3093513 Windows update came back with an "Important Update" to install it again. I hid it, and will see if it comes back again.

Whatever happens I'll remove KB3088195 and KB3093983 a little later just to be on the safe side.

Once again MDL and the contributors solved yet another annoying problem brought to us by the pinheads from Redmond.

15. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    I have the KB3093513 installed and My FF is running good.............. So Far!! But if it acts up again I will uninstall it and see what happens. Thanks!!

16. Palladin

Palladin MDL Senior Member

Feb 1, 2014
    I wonder why you can have KB3093513 installed and FF is OK, but when I had it installed it hosed up everything. And I also wonder why I *didn't* have KB3042058 installed? :confused:

It might be the version of Windows, or maybe something having to do with the configuration. I'm running Win 7 Ultimate, 64-Bit on a Dell i5 3847 if that helps.

After running for a while last night, I removed KB3088195 and KB3093983 and didn't see any difference when it came to FF either before or after removing them. But they are gone anyway.

You know that the two of us aren't the only people on the planet running Windows and FF, and I got a feeling there are a lot of really annoyed people trying to figure out what went wrong.

And without this thread and the info in it, I'd still be pulling my hair out trying to figure out what went wrong, and how to fix it. I never would have suspected "Security Updates" as the problem. And from now on there won't be any more security updates. I've set Windows Update to notify me of any updates, and I'll hide every one of them from now on.

17. Trickz

Trickz MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2015
    #20 Trickz, Nov 11, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2015
    In my case i didn't have 3093513 october shell update u're talking about but instead had 3080466 october shell update !?!
    As of 3042058 it was offered alone few days after october tuesday update batch.
    Now i'm offered 3021952 and 3049563 IE cumulative security updates published may 12 and 14 2015, wtf ?