Any Hitman Pro Second Opinion Scanner Users facing this issue?

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Windows user, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Windows user

Windows user MDL Senior Member

Sep 11, 2012
    In the latest version of HitmanPro 64-bit, every time I scan my PC it finds ask toolbar extension installed in Google Chrome (although it isn't).After resetting Chrome & removing the extension using Hitmanpro & I opened Chrome again & then I run a scan & guess what?? Ask toolbar is again found installed :eek: at first I thought my PC was infected & I did a full repartition & format. Then I installed Chrome & scanned with Hitmanpro....it again finds Ask Toolbar :fear2: WTF is happening??? Is anyone facing the same issue with the latest version of Hitmanpro?? Please respond!!

It might be some false positive coz I scanned my PC with Avast free,Malwarebytes & even Super Antispyware & nothing was found every time (as expected coz it was afresh installation & I only installed Windows updates,Avast,Chrome & Hitmanpro)

2. Leslie_Coffelt

Leslie_Coffelt MDL Member

Feb 6, 2014
    I think it's a bug. I have the same result. It displays the path as:

C:\Users\lesliec\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Web Data

When I drill down to the \Default folder, I see it contains 18 more folders, but not one of them is named "\Web Data". Does yours behave the same? (BTW, \AppData is hidden by default, so you will need to unhide it to view it's contents).

3. Windows user

Sep 11, 2012
    Yes, exactly the same...most probably it is a bug,just wanted to make sure if others were having a similar experience

BTW:- The "Web Data" is actually a file, not a folder

4. Leslie_Coffelt

Feb 6, 2014
    Whoops, I missed that. I copied the "Web Data" file to another location to view it's contents. It's a "SQLite format 3" file with what I guess are SQL commands of formatting structures? At any rate, I see nothing about ask.com or the Ask Toolbar in it's contents.

5. billmcct

billmcct MDL Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Check the registry for ask toolbar or ask.com . AFAIK a lot of malware programs will not remove registry entries.
    Use regedit and search.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Leslie_Coffelt

Feb 6, 2014
    Hitman Pro doesn't show the items being in the registry, and they are not there. But yes, regedt32 is often the way to go for some situations. I got hit with some Spigot-Open Candy-Conduit crap months ago. Regedt32 gave it the boot.

7. Windows user

Sep 11, 2012
    Nope, even regedt32 did not find any ask.com related stuff...most probably this is a bug that causes this detection.

8. speedy1979

speedy1979 MDL Novice

Jul 31, 2012
    The latest release of hitmanpro is buggy. It will list Kaspersky Internet Security 2014 temporary files as as possible infections every time. Thankfully the ignore option is selected by default.

9. tobbe_g

tobbe_g MDL Novice

Jul 20, 2015
    Latest version seems to work fine