Any ifference,between activating Windows with a Retail bought key vs Bios MOD ?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by whitewolf573, Mar 15, 2011.

1. whitewolf573

whitewolf573 MDL Novice

Mar 25, 2010
    #1 whitewolf573, Mar 15, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
    Well,owing to causes that are too long to tell here , i will buy a Windows 7 Home premium Retail box, to install it in my desktop pc (64 bit one).

In that pc i will use the provided product key. So no problem at all .

But i have a netbook , that now has Linux, but come with Windows 7 starter preinstalled.

I want to install Windows 7 again. I can install windows 7 again via a recovery iso that samsung said me i can download and burn , to have again the Windows 7 starter and the hide recovery partition, but i would prefer not to have to burn my self the iso because i have been having problems with linux k3b burner.

I simply prefer not to burn any iso in linux at least until solved the problem.

So, i am thinking in use the Windows 7 home premium 32 bit retail disc, and using a external dvd writer, install windows 7 home premium in the netbook.

Then as the bios will have SLIC already, look for a samsung certificate , and a oem home premium SLP key , and insert it in windows like show the tutorials in this forum.

Would be any difference between using a retail bought key , and a oem SLP keys in terms of activation ?, i mean, with a OEM SLP key , and the cert, i shouldn't worry that Microsoft will know that i can't use home premium in the netbook (as i have not license for it), no ?

Because by the moment i can't pay more than what i will pay for the retail box , and i think i prefer home premium to starter.

So any difference between installing the windows using the provided key , or install it and then put a cert and a oem slp key, bios modding is perfectly safe, in the meaning that you will have a full valid and genuine activation (not from a legal viewpoint, but yes from a technical /activation one).

Windows update should work fully, and all the system should work like usually , or like if have been used your bought retail key.

As the oem slp keys , are still used by manufacturers, and Microsoft have to let use them.

All this is because i want to install first windows in the netbook to then download all drivers and basic software for the pc , previously to install windows 7 in that pc, and i don't want to have any problem with activation issues / licenses, and have to install starter back.

And also, i will use that netbook to download 3d and graphic design software , that is my hobby, and tutorials, i hope that Microsoft wouldn't be able to detect that you don't have a genuine windows or at least the right to use that edition.

Perhaps i am a bit paranoid with this , but better be sure ha ha.

2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    There will be absolutely no problems with activation e.c.t as you said your netbook came with windows 7 starter edition and has slic 2.1.

3. whitewolf573

whitewolf573 MDL Novice

Mar 25, 2010
    I haven't checked that has SLIC 2.1 , but as is a samsung netbook, with windows 7 preinstalled, i suppose has SLIC 2.1, but i will check it.

So the conclusion is that there is not difference at all between a Windows 7 home premium with a bought retail key that you have introduced when asked by the installer , and a Windows 7 home premium with a Bios mod (Slic 2.1 + samsung cert + samsung OEM SLP key),as to evite bios moding and using slp keys microsoft should stop letting OEMs to use oem keys and certs, and that is likely not to hapen.

4. forgetful

forgetful MDL Novice

Feb 7, 2010
    Don't know in which part of the world you live in but in Canada at The Source/Radioshack, they often have sales of Starter to Premium upgrades for $19.99. Other places should have similar sales I guess.