Any Known Problems When Re-installing Genuine Windows 8 & WMC Key

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by UTDKING, Dec 25, 2012.

1. UTDKING

UTDKING MDL Junior Member

Oct 26, 2012
    Hi
    Just a question on re-installation issues

I purchased a Genuine Windows 8 Pro Upgrade Key via the offer for £14:99(bargin)
    as i qualified as i purchase a new laptop
    So after purchasing my upgrade I then requested a Free WMC Key
    Anyway all went ok i install Windows 8 Pro & Activated Then Added The WMC Features Input My Free Key & Activated All Ok
    My Question Is This
    If in the future i have to re-install is their any know issues with activation
    I guess my Win8 Key is like retail & Should re-activate without problems, but what about the free WMC key it was activated before M$ close the loophole
    Will that still activate
    Just need to be sure i can re-install at a later date on same machine

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    You could simply re-install Windows 8, activate it, add WMC with your free Key again and all will be fine.

For me the use of the backup activation wasn't work, after re-installing Windows 8 and used the restore of that backup, I still were unactivated and had to call to MS for to get reactivated. Done that, I had manually ad the WMC again.

I then tested on an other machine and re-installed Windows 8, used the "Bargain" Key for to activate, added WMC using the Free Key and all was fine not needed to call MS!

Both machines Windows 8 were re-installed several times, both on the same Network and the same ISP Provider. And both using legal obtained Product Keys!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. S_A_S

S_A_S MDL Member

Oct 16, 2012
    Image backup.

4. Bluescreen

Bluescreen MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2009
    I had to do that just two days ago.
    Long story: I upgraded a Win7 with the upgrade assistant and the 14,99€ offer, then after Windows 8 finish I use Windows Update and later added my WMC key (free). All done.
    But later, I did a new Windows Update as asked and ran into so much problems... I formated my HDD... :mad:
    So I booted from the USB key I made with the ISO image I made at the end of upgrade Win8, and re-installed Win 8 Pro without Win7 on it, enter my key, installed Win8Pro from scratch.
    Everything went well this time. Activated fine at the end.
    The only drawback had been I could not re install WMC with the same free key. I had to use another one I had.
    So, yes you can install Windows 8 Pro using the media you choose at the end of the first installation. And can activate. :clap3:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. S_A_S

S_A_S MDL Member

Oct 16, 2012
    No probs here with the same WMC key i've used before (that is on the same pc).

6. Bluescreen

Bluescreen MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2009
    So, maybe a typo when entering WMC key. I had it on a piece of paper.. :D
    So the main thing is to know we can re-install without complaining and got phone with MS employees ...