Any point installing leaked updates?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by luke, Nov 8, 2009.

1. luke

luke MDL Senior Member

Jun 22, 2007
    i just wanted to know if there any point installing these leaked updates that are not in windows update?

2. gentoo

gentoo MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2009
    No. They are usually beta and can slow your machine down. Wait for them to hit Windows Update. ;)

3. luke

luke MDL Senior Member

Jun 22, 2007
    ok thanks will do

4. cyclops

cyclops MDL Senior Member

Sep 10, 2007
    i agree wait for them to hit Windows Updates.

5. JackB

JackB MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    no point AT ALL.

6. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    If u eventually want to mess up your system, then it's a must :D

7. SoLoR

SoLoR MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2008
    installing leaked updates, have same point as it had installing every new leaked beta... its fun :)

8. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Damn , u must be bored bro :D

9. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    I can guarantee you that only a few of the leaked updates will ever reach Windowsupdate. Most are limited distribution release updates, which either are (as some have been officially released) or will be only available by request via the relevent KB article. The updates that have shown up on there are typically the same as those that are leaked.

Service packs not only contain the updates available via Windowsupdate, but also all the LDR updates as well of which there are many times more. In fact, there are usually hundreds of LDR updates between service packs. When I stopped downloading the LDR updates for Vista in July when I switched to Windows 7 :) there were already over 100 updates (GDR and LDR) POST SP2! and yes, thats not including superceded updates.

The main reason why these LDR updates aren't released for general distribution is simply because of the number of them! people would be annoyed if they had to continually download updates everyday, and as such Microsoft only release critical or security updates via Windowsupdates. On rare occasions they may release software updates, which are either to add features or to resolve common problems (including performance issues).

Generally it is safe to install LDR updates, despite what is claimed they typically have gone through a lot more testing than they lead on. In terms of the leaked updates, its fair enough to question whether you should install them or not :) but in general I'd say its safe to do so. I have installed all of the leaked updates and I have absolutely no issues with slowdowns or crashes etc. If anything, the computer is faster!

Since most people don't want to install LDR updates, you could probably just stick to windowsupdate, it won't do harm not to install the updates unless an issue fixed in the LDR releases relates to your system.

10. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    I would stay away from leaked updates. You never know who has made them or what they are really intended to do.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. Kikoo

Kikoo MDL Junior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    They are signed… :rolleyes:

12. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    And still mess things up in some cases :rolleyes:

13. gentoo

gentoo MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2009

Of course they are signed but not ready to be released for a reason. So if someone wants to test them more power to ya.:D