Any pre-activated XP available?

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by windows.seven, Aug 17, 2012.

1. windows.seven

windows.seven MDL Member

Sep 14, 2011
    I want to install XP Pro SP3 with latest updates to a desktop with Core2Duo processor and Gigabyte motherboard.
    I checked out the repository and found the activation instructions bit confusing. Are there any pre-activated downloads available?
    I downloaded one from another website nomaher.com (please remove if I am not supposed to post external link, sorry). It supposedly contains all updates to July 2012. Installed well and no activation required. Only problem that it installs my DVD combo drive as CD-ROM and hence motherboard DVD not read. Also no .NET included which would have been nice.

I also have a licensed XP Pro installed on one desktop. Can I deactivate that license and transfer to another machine?

Can I deactivate the license, do a fresh install of XP with all latest updates and use my license key to activate it?

2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Read stickies, learn, come back & ask question when you tried very hard & still can not do it.

Do not be lazy! If is YOUR computer you are dealing with

ALL the required info is available in stickies!

sebus

3. windows.seven

windows.seven MDL Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Yes sir, will do :)

4. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    You should be able to activate on the gigabyte board with a simple retail install and either adding the SLP info (OEMBIOS, WINNT.SIF) to the install, or using the oembios changer with gigabyte sets. Use the oembios.exe program to verify the slp string in the bios, but most have them in valid address'. For this board it should be very simple..no tattooing just install and activate.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Yeah 911, as you know 9 times out of ten good branded boards have manufacturer string Asus, just one for example.
    What I have seen on this forum a few times is people tattoo and even though DMI Boot CD does a check first, they still tattoo the board when it is not needed ( user error every one needs to learn ) new to some members but not to us older guys :D

6. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    #6 911medic, Aug 18, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. dailyinsanity

dailyinsanity MDL Junior Member

Aug 17, 2012
    You can transfer the License, as long as its a retail license. OEM licenses CAN NOT be transferred. But if you want a preactivated copy of XP, go to a torrent site and get a copy of the XP Pro VLK

8. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    VLK will be activated but never genuine..research the difference. No use in transferring license as long as OEM:SLP is so easy..

9. windows.seven

windows.seven MDL Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Still not really getting it, have to give it a try. I installed XP downloaded from torrent site and installed on one desktop. It says activated. But according to 911, it won't be genuine. Does that mean that if I activate automatic updates, it will not update?
    For the other desktop, I want to keep licensed copy. My licensed version should be retail I guess, i got the DVD and then I had installed it on my desktop. How do I deactivate it before formatting the drive? Also I don't want to install that old XP copy but a new updated one, only use my license. What exactly is the procedure. I don't think I can use the torrent downloaded XP as it never asks for license.

10. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  11. supaduper

supaduper MDL Member

Jul 3, 2011
    #11 supaduper, Aug 20, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
    Bit lost with what your explaining there.
    On the second desktop just do a fresh/new install of your licenced XP pro when it asks for the licence input and your done, am I missing something here? you dont need to deactivate anything because you will be installing XP from scratch.

12. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Yeah your missing something retail license can be transfered i,e, delete from old desktop and install on new. OEM:NONE SLP cannot be transferred it is tied to the machine you first installed xp on. windows.seven does not no if he has retail or OEM:NONE SLP that is why I posted info below.

As for your licensed copy you need to look in properties to see if it says OEM if it does say oem then you cannot transfer it examples below

As you can see the values in Red is license type.

13. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
  14. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  15. windows.seven

windows.seven MDL Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Thanks everyone for trying to help. Maybe I did not explain properly what I need.
    I wanted to install XP Pro on a Core2Duo machine. I downloaded from a torrent site and installed, it works and is activated. But, as I understand, I cannot update this as it will not be genuine. At the moment I can live with this and won't change it.

On a 2nd assembled desktop, I want to remove the old XP and install a new one which is "genuine". I will use the method given here.

I don't have any OEM desktops.

For a 3rd assembled desktop, I have installed XP Pro from a purchased CD. Now when I checked in properties, it is indeed a OEM install. So it is now "tied" to the machine, but in what sense? I have recently changed the motherboard of this desktop and the license is still working. Is there no way to deactivate this license and use it in another machine? If not, can I still format the hard disk, install XP pro again and reactivate the license on the same machine? For this, do I have to use the original Xp disk, which is only upto SP2 or can I download a XP pro with SP3 and updates and use the same license?

16. windows.seven

windows.seven MDL Member

Sep 14, 2011
    For the 2nd desktop, I downloaded "en_windows_xp_professional_with_service_pack_3_x86_cd_vl_x14-73974.iso" and added "OnePiece_Windows_XP_Post-SP3_UpdatePack_v5.9.0_ENU" using Ryan Integrator. But size is more than 800Mb and can't fit on CD.
    So I have downloaded "Windows XP Professional SP3 (x86) SATA integrated July 2012" from a torrent site and should also work.
    Now, I burnt the "OEMBIOSTEST.ISO" on a Cd and ran on 2nd desktop but it says the BIOS cannot be pre-activated. So I downloaded "dmitattoo.iso" and ran this and it is now showing as HP Bios and one of the available options is "OEMBIOS.CAT CRC32=CD4E1902". However, when I try to download Mediafire says "File Belongs to Suspended Account". Now what?

17. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  18. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Also, desktop, laptop, netbook,etc..does not matter. The concepts are the same, the media delivery may be a little different. The three things you need for the slp to work is :
    1: OEM SLP string in the bios or DMI area
    2: OEMBIOS set for the given OEM vendor (SLP String)
    3: OEM serial for the given version of XP (Pro, Home, etc)

Some minor possible hindrances are addressed in the changer, but most of the time you only need these three to be satisfied. The changer is a Batch file, so You can look to see where the files are being taken from and added to if you please. To make your own OEM CD (or DVD), I can (and have) upload packages that you just unzip and add to the folders in the ISO.

Language may be a barrier to some with the changer, but you can make your own ISO very easy. If it is not activating only 3 things are common problems, lack of the serial, oembios files, or slp in bios.

One last thing. activating OEM x64 may be troublesome after install. To make oem, you must have installation media OEM:SLP. This is a moot point as x64 is WGA exempt.

19. windows.seven

windows.seven MDL Member

Sep 14, 2011

Inside the Setupp.ini file, this is written :
    [Pid]
    ExtraData=786F687170637175716954806365EF
    Pid=76487270

I could not find any download links in that thread. In any case, I wanted a ISO with all the latest updates and I thought untouched SP3 would not contain latest updates, so I downloaded from torrent. Hope that will work too.

Thanks for uploading OEMBIOS file. Will give this a try.

20. windows.seven

windows.seven MDL Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Don't I need uncompressed file as I have to install after installing XP? Or do I install before installing windows, how?