Any Really Consistent Uninstaller???

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by acyuta, Apr 7, 2010.

1. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    As the thread suggests, is there any uninstaller which does the job it is intended to do 100% of the time. This means deleting not only the program (which most software do 100% of the time) but also all traces in registries (which is really a hit and miss with all uninstallers I have used). This is the same as not having that software ever on the PC.

The alternative methods are:
    1. System Restore in win 7: may or may not work.
    2. System Image: very cumbersome but a good option
    3. Fresh Install: 100% perfect but takes a lot of time if one considers install of OS, software, and personalisations.

As a background, some softwares uninstall cleanly and leave no traces, but a lot do not. I have used the following but have not found any software that can remove all traces.
    1. Windows 7 built in uninstaller
    2. ccleaner
    3. winaso
    4. your uninstaller
    5. revo uninstaller

I had high hopes with revo but somehow it does not do the job 100% of the time. In fact, perhaps your uninstaller does it better.

Any suggestions, please.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    Well my experience with good Uninstallers has not been too good actually...
    The best way to get rid of a program thoroughly is by probably getting a special uninstaller meant for said program...
    Sadly enough the coding for the Windows Uninstaller has never been very good....
    The next best thing is to manually go in and delete anything that is left in the Registry, Program files, Program data, the list goes on....
    Pretty much there is no Magical uninstaller out there so that pretty much says it all....
    Sorry for the bad news man... Revo was a nice program however it doesn't get everything...

3. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Amongst the more popular softwares, web browsers typically uninstall cleanly; but some softwares that do not (from my experience) belong to Sony and NVIDIA. Recently NVIDIA had a graphic card problem with its 196.75 drivers. I had no problem with that issue, but anyway wished to downgrade to 196.21. The rollback and uninstall removed all drivers for NVIDIA and even the one by windows. Result was no detection of graphic card drivers and display resolution worsened. However, there remained a folder in c:. When installed 196.21, it could not. After some workarounds, decided to reinstall win 7 and load new drivers (196.21). Even Nero does not uninstall cleanly.

From my experience, the bigger the footprint of the software (in MB), the bigger the headaches.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Laszlo

Laszlo MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2009
    If all you're doing is testing then uninstalling, use something like a full VM, such as VirtualBox or VMware.

If that's to much, try something like Returnil or sandboxie (free) or Acronis Try and Decide (Pay). Just install one of these applications. Then, when you want to test some new app, run it in the sandbox of one of these apps. Once your finished, either commit the changes or restart and all is as it was.

Failing that, use one of the uninstallers that has the ability to take before and after snapshots. There are some free ones around but revo full does this and I'm sure Final and your uninstaller do too.

5. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Will try Acronis True Image Home 2010 which I have and which perhaps has this `try and decide' feature.

6. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009
    "Perfect Uninstaller", works well for me.

7. R0H1T

R0H1T MDL Junior Member

Apr 6, 2010
    #8 R0H1T, Apr 7, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2010
    Your Uninstaller with aggressive settings is more than capable of removing most if not all traces left though its not recommended(aggressive mode).
    One of the reasons programs leave traces behind especially in registry is to check(for instance) whether the same trialware was installed earlier or not, so a nifty little trick through registry can make it work over & over again which is also a weakness for these types of programs.
    There aren't too many programs around that come with a time limited key(the ones which expire on a set date), others allow the setup to continue if the program wasn't installed earlier on the OS even though the same physical system is used(after format/reinstalling OS) !

8. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    I agree but you don't have to use the aggressive mode either though. It works great plus just run a registry cleaner afterwards to delete any bad registry keys that lingered after you removed the program.

9. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Yes, even though it is not as high profile as revo, I find your uninstaller to be better. Only problem is that it should be used as default for uninstalling. If one uses win 7 uninstaller, your uninstaller will not detect that software afterwards.
    The problem is not so much as uninstalled programs taking revenge, as they leaving all sorts of empty folders in c:. Not clean at all. System restore is hit and miss; acronis is a bit too much for normal software.

10. boxter

boxter MDL Novice

Dec 13, 2009
    I think it`s hard for some application to survive revo, and then cleaning with registry 1st aid. Both agressive and safe.