Anybody know of a way to backup individual program data on Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ctx3, Mar 13, 2016.

1. ctx3

ctx3 MDL Novice

Oct 4, 2015
    Hi all.

I was interested in reinstalling my Windows 10 from scratch, but I wanted to know if it was possible to backup each program's data and settings so I can restore them as needed easily. Is there any tool that does that. I remember something that does just that but it only has a certain list of programs that work with it.

Any help is appreciated
    Thanks

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    AFAIK, the developer is updating the apps supported. I think, it's quite a bit of work because it need to be done manually for many apps, and there will be no a general rule for to do that! Just check what apps are supported!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. ctx3

ctx3 MDL Novice

Oct 4, 2015
    cool thanks again. Yea the last time I used it was quite a while back so I'll look at it again right now to see what new apps are in there.;)

5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Overall, that apps isn't a 'normal' Backup Apps! It's designed for to use to transfer Apps from one installation to a other! That will require also to 'backup' the related Registry settings and more! In general, even what it could do right now, it would be a huge help already. And if I'm not wrong, it's also Freeware! AFAIK, it's the only available Apps, which could such job!

6. Meat[On]A[Stick]

Meat[On]A[Stick] MDL Junior Member

Jan 1, 2015
    Okay, it's a given that I'm stupid. After numerous attempts, including reading the help file, I still can't get cloneapp to work. I want to clone app. "ABC" from the source computer to the destination computer. Both computers are Windows 7 with identical user accounts. On my last attempt, I did as follows:

Source computer:
    Extracted cloneapp folder to the desktop.
    Ran cloneapp at elevated level.
    Cloneapp listed app. "ABC" as being installed and supported.
    Made a backup of app. "ABC" - Cloneapp reported success.
    Made a copy of the Cloneapp folder.

Destination computer:
    Copied the Cloneapp folder to the desktop.
    Ran cloneapp at elevated level.
    Selected the "ABC" backup. Did a restore - cloneapp reported success, no errors.

But even that did not work. I do now have an "ABC" folder in the Program Folders directory, but all it contains is a bunch of cloneapp data files. My app isn't there. Can someone a quick outline of how to properly use cloneapp? Thanks.

7. Gharlane00

Gharlane00 MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2009
    I believe that it only backs up and restores settings and data not the actual app

8. Meat[On]A[Stick]

Jan 1, 2015

Thank you. I was confused. Silly me, thinking that "clone" meant everything.

9. Meat[On]A[Stick]

Jan 1, 2015
    Okay, just to prove to myself that I get it now, I did a fresh Windows 7 install. Then I copied my cloneapp folder (with saved settings) to the desktop. Then I installed ABC.EXE with trial license. Ran cloneapp restore. There were a ton of existing files and folders - I overwrote everything. Ran ABC.EXE and yes, no trial mode, it was full lifetime license - sweet! Thanks again.

10. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
  11. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
  12. spidernz

spidernz MDL Senior Member

May 20, 2011
    Better of switching to portable apps where possible. 3/4 of all my programs used, are portable apps now especially browsers (which means browsing sessions are save & continue).
    So moving systems or reinstalling has become nothing but a breeze.

13. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Why not use raid in mirror config or backup your complete disk you never have to worry about losing stuff :tea:

14. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    There's somewhere an apps, which let you turn most Apps into a Portable Apps, don't remember the name of that apps!

If you have a lot of Ram, and you build a RAM Disk, you could use that for to run some Portable Apps with a much better performance, like Games or Graphics.

A friend mine is using a 32GB Ramdisk for his Flight Simulator.

Portable apps, for sure, having a lot advantages of fully installed Apps. And just copy all those Portables to an external Storage (USB, eSata, etc.) or even Server, will save a lot of 'headache' of re-installation!

15. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    On my server I use RAID 1 (Mirror), BD (50GB) Backup incremental (every 3h new and changed data) and TAPE 80GB (daily and weekly, both full), and so I do on my customers place! RAID 1 alone isn't good enough in corporate system!

Just @spidernz is right too! In case of reinstallation, which may need to be a clean install, without any rubbish on it, the use of Portables is the best solution!

16. Bat.1

Bat.1 MDL Expert

Oct 18, 2014