Anyone Encounter This Error With USB 3.0?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by CyleR, Nov 19, 2012.

1. CyleR

CyleR MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2012
    Hi,

I recently encounter this error for my usb 3.0 when I upgraded recently. I done my research from google and found no answer.

My problem is that my usb shows this when there is no USB inserted into it. Also when I insert a USB into the 3.0 ports, it wont show the safety remove device text.

Once in awhile, they would also show an error which i cant reproduce now which is in picture 2 and 3 attached. They would show an exclamation mark on "device and printers" menu and picture 3 some times shows that the device is not working properly. Which in this case I can't it to show.

:worthy::worthy::worthy:Hope someone have a solution to this.~

USB3.0Error.png USB3.0Error1.png USB3.0Error2.png

2. Niekess

Niekess MDL Addicted

Mar 31, 2011
    No problem with my USB3.0 here. It actually works better then my other two USB2.0 ports who sometimes just don't like to boot at startup. Got to disable them and re-enable to have them working. >_<

3. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Did you try installing the drivers from your Motherboard manufacturer instead of generic windows driver that ships with it?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
    Yea, I was gunna say, do you have the drivers? Just because Windows comes with half baked generic drivers doesn't mean that they will work with ever device.

5. CyleR

CyleR MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2012
    My PC is from ASUS and when I login into their utilities download page, they only feature USB drivers for Win7 and not Win8. Is it possible to use their Win7 driver for Win8?

6. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
    You could but it is not 100% guaranteed they will work but I would give it a try.

If you give me your Hardware IDs from Device Manager on your USB 3.0 device, I may be able to assist you better.

7. SpeedDream

SpeedDream MDL Addicted

Feb 20, 2012
    #7 SpeedDream, Nov 20, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
    asmedia controller on asus m5a99x evo board here,
    had same problem did the same solution, installed asus drivers and in my case also asus usb 3.0 boost too
    cheers,

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Download the Windows 7 driver to your computer, Right Click on the Setup file and chose Properties, click on Compatibility Mode and Chose Windows 7, also check Run as Administrator, click OK and start the setup.

That normally should just work. Good luck

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. CyleR

CyleR MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2012
    Thanks for the help. As I'm still at work I cant access my computer atm. I will give that method you provided. Do I need to uninstall the current driver to install the new one? Or do I just overwrite it?

Thanks.

10. Hackeur

Hackeur MDL Senior Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Asus did not include the USB 3.0 drivers because the native Windows 8 USB 3.0 drivers are installed during set up. Try to transfer a large file across to your main drive and see what speed you get. I got an Asus board and did not install any USB 3.0 drivers, when I checked the transfer speed I got 125mb/s which is the max for the drive inside the USB 3.0 enclosure - got same result on all my USB 3.0 ports, so it's installed and working without doing anything.

11. CyleR

CyleR MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2012
    I did try to transfer stuff to my hard disk and try to see how it went. If it was went the USB 3.0 when its working, the hard disk will light up in blue color. But now its just shows yellow light which is 2.0 mode. But the xfer speed is very fast for the first 5 seconds. E.g If i transfer a 2GB video to it, it get instantly into the hard disk. I did verify the file on my laptop and the file is working. But then the downside is that there is no safety device remove, which I am scared it might cause data corruption. Also is I transfer multiple stuff e.g 2GB of random items, the transfer speed would be insanely fast for the first 5 seconds like 300+ mb/s and after that it will slow down to like what a normal 2.0 speed would be like. I am really wish to get it working since I have 4 USB 3.0 ports which is a pain now since I can't utilize them. Sorry for the long post.

12. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    That the speed at beginning for a few seconds as very fast, is normal because of the first part is written NOT to the HDD, is written to Cache and from there to HDD. At the same time the transfer to HDD starts, the speed of transfer is dropping a lot.

The max transfer speed I could get for a huge file is up to 132MB/s while using eSata3 is 137MB/s, so nearly the same. Anyway, it's depend on kind and size of the file transferred! If I use to transfer from computer to USB 3.0 external HDD, the max transfer speed is 90MB/s while eSata3 the speed is still up to 137MB/s using the same files.

13. CyleR

CyleR MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2012
    Well, I use to get those speeds you mention when I was using it when the driver wasn't borke. But not I am clueless will I lose data since I cant safely remove the device. Since I don't transfer small amount of file, I usually transfer 40-50gb of items at a go. :rip2:

14. MrG

MrG MDL Expert

May 31, 2010
    #14 MrG, Nov 20, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2012