Anyone ever used the Unified Messaging in Exchange 2013 or 2010?

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by Myrrh, Aug 5, 2014.

1. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    I'm getting curious about Microsoft's Unified Messaging, which I believe was formerly called Lync Server, and is now included in Exchange Server.

I'm sure the overall grand design of the thing is all-encompassing, meshing VoIP phones, other PBXs, fax machines and instant messaging on the local network, and probably PRI interfaces connected to the public phone network as well. I have none of that stuff available to me right now. I just want to get started trying out some of the more basic features and have suffered from information overload every time trying to figure out where to begin.

I've worked with VoIP phone systems before, specifically Asterisk a few years ago. I had it sending email to a user whenever they got a new voicemail, they could click the attachment and listen to it. Really nice, but administering it was a nightmare of editing configuration text files, restarting services and rebooting phones, and making test calls to see if something worked as desired.

I'm thinking, if I could connect a modem to an Exchange server, and get it to answer when the phone rings, maybe it could be a pretty nice voicemail system that would email me when I get a phone call. I know it does voicemail but I don't know how or with what equipment. I also know it can do a lot more than that, but if I could make it do that one simple thing I think I would be well on the way to gaining a new area of expertise.

I need a little advice/coaching from someone who has done it before. What can you reasonably expect it to do, what kind of equipment do I need to buy in order to try it out, that sort of thing.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. unreal2k3

unreal2k3 MDL Novice

Nov 18, 2009
    Hi,

I found this very useful and it was a good start for me:
    c7solutions.com/2012/07/building-exchange-unified-messaging-lab

3. claus12

claus12 MDL Novice

Dec 2, 2009
    Hello,

Yes, I tested the Exchange UM-functions with a Dialogic ISDN Card.

What you Need is am Dialogic UM-BRI-2 Card or higher. The Driver Package includes a software sipcontrol. The Software is free for 2 channels and you can use it in the Exchange Server itself. I used it with Windows 2008 R2/Exchange 2010 and Windows 2012/Exchange 2013. This should be enough for testing.

The real good thing is that you can change all numbers of incoming/outgoing calls which helps a lot if you do not have a big telephone appliance and you want to test some scenarios.

Have fun
    Claus