Anyone find a sucessful way to activate W2k8 R2?

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by fluidwater, Sep 3, 2009.

1. fluidwater

fluidwater MDL Novice

Sep 3, 2009
    I apologize for this newbie thread, but I'm a bit stuck.

I've been reading this forum and tried a few things posted. The free key from Dreamspark doesn't work with R2 and I just finished trying all flavors of R2 I could find. Neither does any of the posted activators that I saw posted here.

I've got 2 machines to play with and I have R2 Standard and R2 Foundation installed on each. Both are not net enabled, just lan access to keep an update or failed activation from forcing me to spend another hour or two reinstalling the OS and stuff.

I am probably missing something or just being stupid, however could someone who has successfully activated any flavor of 2k8 R2 please point me in the right direction?

Thank you very much!

2. maybeonly

maybeonly MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2009
    You can eval R2 for 180 days legally, and re-arm for 5 times. I think it is enough now.
    It is possible that dreamspark will supply R2 keys, and OEM keys should be leaked... it is enough.

3. fluidwater

fluidwater MDL Novice

Sep 3, 2009
    Thank you for the reply! Can I ask, what do I need to setup W2k8 as a 180 day eval? Sorry, this is my first time working with Windows server without VLK access in more than a decade.

4. yaluza1967

yaluza1967 MDL Member

Jun 6, 2009
    #4 yaluza1967, Sep 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2017
  5. fluidwater

fluidwater MDL Novice

Sep 3, 2009
    Thank you very much! I will give that a try!

6. AshenTech

AshenTech MDL Novice

Jun 19, 2008
    last time i checked timer nuke still worked on win7, you could just do that if u need to outlast the eval resets ;)

or just buy a technet sub ;)

7. maybeonly

maybeonly MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2009
    Microsoft supply HTTP download for R2 eval version.
    Login with any Live passport then you can download it easily, but it only supplies about six languages.