Anyone get Win 10 DE Activation using 14.99 Win 8 key, especially in a VM?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by crashnburn, Jul 30, 2016.

1. crashnburn

crashnburn MDL Addicted

Mar 18, 2010
    #1 crashnburn, Jul 30, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    I used a long ago, but think, now this train is gone. Try, You must have installed and activated Windows 7 and then use upgrade system using this upgrade key. As much as I remember, it was mandatory.
    But if this key has already been used in one machine, then in the other pc it will no longer work.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. TONSCHUH

TONSCHUH MDL Addicted

Jun 11, 2012
    This ^^ and you are able to use your old Windows-8-Key and attach it to your actual Windows-10-Account, but you can't use the cheap WMC-Key from back then.

:)

4. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Sorry, I know. But it isn't sure, that all will work today or tomorrow. Remember, it was during previous year so, but what will be tomorrow, anyone don't know.
    Perhaps only broken windows... Maybe you've noticed as unstable are all the promises, what Microsoft gives. It lasts already about ten years, but how long will continue, nobody knows.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Nil Einne

Nil Einne MDL Novice

Aug 12, 2007
    If you have an actual unused Windows 8 key from the $15 upgrade you could simply enter in to the installer since Threshold as with any other unused Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 key.

The free MCE keys didn't work, since they're used as you had to either activate it or they were cancelled.

Obviously with the free upgrade dead, neither work now I assume.

6. Nil Einne

Nil Einne MDL Novice

Aug 12, 2007
    #7 Nil Einne, Jul 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
    Well I fairly doubt the assistive technology thing is going to allow people to use the MCE keys which never worked.

Perhaps it will continue to allow you to just input your Windows 8 key into the Windows 10 ISO installer. Perhaps not. The page doesn't say and the only thing they've released so far as an EXE designed for an existing Windows installation. You can obviously install Windows 8 with the key as before Threshold and then update using the assistive technology thing, but that's annoying/far less simple then what's been possible since Threshold.

I used my last Windows 8 keys in the hours before just in case so have nothing to test now but would suggest we need to wait probably a week to be sure since MS may be just slow at disabling stuff.

7. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    #8 T-S, Jul 30, 2016

The point is that, as far as I can understand, you don't need any key at all.

They just want badly you switch to W10, that's all.

8. Nil Einne

Nil Einne MDL Novice

Aug 12, 2007
    #9 Nil Einne, Jul 30, 2016
    You mean you could use SLIC? Sure but this seems to be getting very offtopic "Was anyone able to use prev obtained 14.99 Windows 8 for a Digital Entitlement Activt". I only mentioned the MCE thing since someone else mentioned it as a way of explaining why $15 Windows 8 keys would simply work (since Threshold), but the free MCE/WMC didn't.

9. RobertJ

RobertJ MDL Senior Member

Apr 4, 2014
    Of course the system you upgrade needs to be activated. Without a qualifying key it would mean this offer for users of assistive technologies will enable those with non-genuine Windows to upgrade to genuine Windows 10, which I'm sure is not the case.

10. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Not sure about this, anyway activated is different from legit

Unless you have been under a rock lately, that's exactly what MS did for a whole year.

11. RobertJ

Apr 4, 2014
    #12 RobertJ, Jul 30, 2016
    I'm not talking about people using Daz's loader or other solutions before upgrading that made the system indistinguishable from a genuine activated one. So just how was MS enabling those with non-genuine Windows to upgrade to genuine Windows 10? Upgrade was possible but if the original copy of Win7 or 8 wasn't genuine (as far as MS was concerned), then Win10 would be non-genuine also. MS is not in the business of giving out free licenses to people after all.

12. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

MS is in the business of giving the OSes for free since its foundation, except for corporate users and preinstalled OSes.

They have just almost officialized the real world scenario.

Your data, not $$, is the actual currency.

13. RobertJ

Apr 4, 2014
    #14 RobertJ, Jul 30, 2016
    Second point is true, but only since Win10. When before this did they ever give their latest OS version for free (or subsidized by user data and ads)?

14. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    They win over OS2 because the so called piracy.

That's the official word, but what really happened was that piracy (tolerated and even backed) was the main way to spread the MS products and to create a strong user base.

IBM (stupidly) tried to really sell OS2, while MS closed both the eyes. IBM lost the war.

Nowadays Google explained to MS that big money can be "printed" even w/o a theoretical price for the OS and MS is slowly transitioning from giving Win for free unofficially to giving it for free officially

15. RobertJ

Apr 4, 2014
    I'm not going to speculate on whether and to what extent MS actually encouraged piracy of Windows. IMO if OS/2 was really that much better than Windows then people would have been buying it or pirating it instead. If the ability to pirate (i.e. get the OS for free) was the sole reason for Windows' strong user base then Linux would have become the #1 OS a long time ago.

16. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    In a prefect world that had worked.

We are in the real world instead. A world where the VHS won over betamax and Video 2000, Windows won over OS2 and Linux, the gasoline cars won over the electric ones, the Compact Cassette won over the Elcasette and so on.

A poor product well commercialized and advertised almost always won over a good product poorly advertised.

In the last years probably only google (the search engine) won because it was superior technically, but in that case we were talking about a product that was so superior than the competition that was impossible to not notice the difference (and the price to use it was, again, the same as altavista, yahoo and whatever)

That's exactly the reason why Linux didn't become the most used OS.

For the average Joe Linux costs exactly the same as Windows, so why bother to switch?

The so called piracy was and still is the key to the success, and wasn't used by MS alone. Think to the first Playstations just to make the most obvious example.

The only company that followed a different path was Apple. They used the religion instead of the piracy, but that is another argument.

17. RobertJ

Apr 4, 2014
    I think you are way overestimating the piracy rate among average users, especially those not from say, China or certain other regions. Most people do pay for Windows, either by purchasing licenses (rare) or while getting it with a new device, so Linux definitely costs less (especially so if you factor in ongoing costs related to security and maintenance).

True, which means OS/2 losing to Windows cannot be attributed to just the simplistic notion that the latter was pirated more.

18. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    no matter if you pirates or you got bundled, the cost is the same as linux from non corporate users pov.

Perhaps in the early years window (and office) were heavily pirated even in large corporations.

Come on! Did you read what you quoted?

OS2 was light years better and more stable than Windows. Windows was a joke at least until the XP release. Windows was just commercialized better, read was already widespread (hence supported by the other SW houses) because the piracy.

Occam's razor: almost always the simpler explanation is also the right one.

19. N a s

N a s MDL Novice

Jul 16, 2016
    Windows 10 settings > update > activation > change key

Yes. On my primary machine with Windows 10 Insider installed, I went to the "Activation" window and selected "Change Key" option... In the wizard, I simply entered the original product key which was in my confirmation email from the 39.99 purchase. The wizard accepted it and made sure to associate my Windows 10 Insider acct with my Windows 8 Pro license key, thus allowing this machine to be fully licensed in case I have to rebuild the machine but keeping the same hardware.