Anyone know the link to 1980s DOS-based game Pacman?

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by mydigitallifeforum, Jul 24, 2010.

1. mydigitallifeforum

mydigitallifeforum MDL Junior Member

Apr 25, 2010
    #1 mydigitallifeforum, Jul 24, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
    Hi,

Not sure if this is the correct forum to post this.

Does anyone know the link to download the popular 1980s era
    game Pacman?

I once downloaded a file claim to be Pacman, and it turned out to
    be a trojan. :(

2. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    #2 Phazor, Jul 24, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2010

Attached Files:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. RedSpider

RedSpider MDL Junior Member

Oct 13, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. dgriff20

dgriff20 MDL Junior Member

Apr 22, 2008
    I agree with Phazor, You can not go wrong with MAME, I have a 1TB drive with all the old Arcade games on it. Its funny cause even my kids like them..

5. kegger99

kegger99 MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2010
    #5 kegger99, Aug 15, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
    I agree with everyone else here that MAME is the way to go....

However I have another alternative. Microsoft Arcade. There is a Wikipedia article on the software.

Not sure if anyone sells the "Microsoft Return of Arcade: 20th Anniversary Edition" (which contained PacMan), but you might locate it at a flea market, garage sale or even ebay. Since the earlier versions were floppy disk installations, you might seek the 20th Anniversary Edition since its most likely in CDROM format.

If you do a Google search for the software, you can locate the direct link on Microsoft's page...which also has a trial version of the software available.

Now the question is, can it run on XP...or on Win7 in XP Mode.

I hope that assisted you a bit. Best wishes.

6. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    Not for MAME, as Pitfall was not an Arcade game. (ATARI 2600)

You could play Pitfall II on MAME though...

7. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    Could you help me get pitfall 2 and install MAME. I tried to install star**** but failed. The last time I played games was coleco vision...lol

Thank you

Thanks I don't understand how MAME installs and where and how do I install pitfall 2

I have no idea

Do you have the exact links

Thank you

Later

8. Error_801

Error_801 MDL Junior Member

Jul 31, 2009
    i found a playonline one graphic's look smooth then the one above
    www[dot]echalk.co.uk/amusements/Games/games.htm

Attached Files:

9. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
  10. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    The graphics look 'smooth' because there are no scanlines added.

Real Arcade monitors are like normal TV screens though, (except of course the Vector ones) and thus the games do actually look like on my screenshot.

11. microjunk

microjunk MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2009
    I think MAME is good for some small games, much like the MESS emulator, but lets face it, there are some emulators that are better for certain games. Though the ones I want to play require CHDs and no emulator supports them correctly yet. Games like San Francisco RUSH 2049 and crypt killer and primevil and a few others will not run under MAME, I have tried time and time again.

12. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    You almost make it sound as if MAME merely supports a handful of games.

But that is not so.

Working Games in 0.106: 5391

Working Games in 0.138: 7224

Granted, a few of them are still imperfect, but most of them (i would estimate 98%) have no issues whatsoever.

That many games would easily fill the houses of an entire block.

I dont play the CHD games so i cannot comment on that, but i do use ZiNc (via EmuLoader frontend) for the ones running on the zn.c source.

In 0.106 these games are almost unplayable, (StreetFighterEX Series, RayStorm, PlasmaSword, RivalSchools, etc.), and since they run flawlessly on ZiNc thats in deed a great alternative for MAME...

13. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
  14. Phazor

Phazor MDL Expert

Sep 1, 2009
    All old messages deleted.

PM box ready for new PMs. :)

15. Bluescreen

Bluescreen MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2009