Anyone Noticed Desktop Icons Not Responsive on Win 8.1 Update 1

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by acyuta, Apr 5, 2014.

1. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    I installed Win 8.1 Update 1 ISO x64 on Thursday/Friday.
    I have noticed 2 problems which I have rarely noticed in win 7 and never in 8 and 8.1 RTM

1. On restart or cold boot, sometimes it can take a while before the desktop icons (eg recycle bin or program icons such as cleaner, picasa, etc) become responsive. It seems like the mouse has stopped working and clicking the icon does nothing. This does not happen on program icons placed on start screen or on C:/users/my name.
    2. On the same restart or cold boot, when I click on explorer and then computer, it takes a while for all partitions to load up and I simply get a blank screen and a green progress window on the top. To be fair, this does happen sometimes even on 8 and 8.1 rtm, but happens with far more frequency on recent win 8.1 update 1.

Have I done something wrong. It is the same hardware and same drivers as were on win 8.1 rtm.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I've similar out come too!

It could be wrong but it seems that the Startscreen has Priority over the desktop and get loaded directly why the desktop graphic is load after that.

The problem with HDD is a different and mainly MB and SATA drives related, me think. I didn't use an SSD at this time and will not for the next time too because of many problems I had with them, so my HDD's are SATA. At the moment I've 7 SATA3 HDD's in my computer and the startup of the HDD's are delayed except the system drive (drive C). Those HDD spinning up at the moment I like to access them. Means the HDD's not spinning, just the PCB/Controller is working and spinning start at access only.
    About that problem I had contacted ASRock and WD/Hitachi but get an answer (yet)!

And no, I don't think it's an driver problem.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    The point is that this is not a problem in 8 or 8.1 rtm with the same hard drives and the same partitions. I do not even install RST.
    It is quite frustrating really. I open a file and it seems somewhat unresponsive. The command is taken but not executed.
    On desktop, when nothing happens on first click, I do it again and maybe after 5-10 secs, all my commands get executed and so say I get 3-5 ccleaner windows!!!
    Same for other icons.
    This is not 100% of the time but definitely more than 25% of the time.

4. OldMX

OldMX MDL Addicted

Jul 30, 2009
    Not a single problem here.

5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Are the drive you like to access is spinning?

6. SpeedDream

SpeedDream MDL Addicted

Feb 20, 2012
    nothing like that over here, only mechanic hard drives here and an amd sb950 controller
    had w8.1 in ahci mode all good and also after 20 mins shuts down hard drives to save power
    switched controller to raid mode, having 2 mechanical drives in raid 0, no problem.

I always install amd's latest driver for RAID and AHCI, only thing with 8.1 is you have to setup native drivers for sound, network and
    sata controller to get more performance and stability.

have a good one,

7. CATALINZX

CATALINZX MDL Junior Member

Jul 11, 2011
    #7 CATALINZX, Apr 5, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
    Ain't this a bitc*..when @ian82 created a thread with the same issue you all jumped on him and said that he lacks the skills and no one else has this problem..that the problem was with his configuration etc...when a problem exists and one says that he is not having this problem and 20 users say they have, means the majority have this problem!(including me)...btw it's an explorer bug(and seems to happen after a fresh install)

8. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Could not get this:
    CATALINZX: if it is an explorer problem, does it go away. Of course it goes away after 5-10 secs.
    Now I remember, even the explorer taskbar is sometimes unresponsive.
    Really think I wasted 3 hrs on win 8.1 update 1. Same hardware works fine in 8 and also in 8.1 rtm.

9. CATALINZX

Jul 11, 2011
    #9 CATALINZX, Apr 5, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
    i5 4430
    Asrock H87 Performance
    8GB
    128GB SSD

I no longer have this issue(not sure what did the trick)...since the problem occurred I tried everything(new drivers, new updates, changed the explorer priority)

10. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Again and again and finally, if it is a hardware problem, it should happen in 8 and 8.1, but it does not. Only in 8.1 update 1.
    My hardware is in the signature, but mechanical hard disks are 2 Seagate 4TBs, 1 WD 3 TB, 1 Seagate 3 TB, and Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB (boot disk and nothing else).

11. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    The only time I noticed this was when I disabled windows defender and downloaded the new kb file that patches windefender (not the definition)

12. OldMX

OldMX MDL Addicted

Jul 30, 2009
    Then Ian82 and CATALINZX and you can go bitch at Microsoft forums and demand your issues to get solved.

13. lievre

lievre MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2012
    I'm running 8.1 on a SSD and there is no problem.

Lievre

14. CATALINZX

Jul 11, 2011
    I did not complained about this problem in the first place (just confirmed I also encountered this bug)...I no longer have this bug(I'm 90% sure it's a bug)...I fix my own problems!

15. makisxxx

makisxxx MDL Member

Apr 9, 2008
    Same here on SSD drive.but it happens to me only after i install some Store Apps.before that,no problem at all ..only after i install/update some store apps :(

16. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
  17. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
  18. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Don't mess with obvious trolls, not worth bothering :cool2:.

19. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    He does have the occasional good bit of info. It just doesn't go into the existing threads like it should.
    I don't believe he's ever used the search button. Ever.