Anyone use Windows 7 E?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by FunkTrooper, Apr 14, 2010.

1. FunkTrooper

FunkTrooper MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    Remember back when Windows 7 first RTM'd, you could pick between Windows 7 and Windows 7 E. Of course, the E edition was later cancelled and never actually sold, but the gold RTM code was released (or leaked, whatever).

Does anyone around here use Windows 7 E? Can it download updates from Windows Update? Is there any way to activate it?

I'm only asking out of curiosity. It would be interesting to know what it's like running this abandoned OS.

2. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Windows 7 E is an operating system so downloading it from windows update is not possibled.

Its just like any other 7 besides that "E", cant remember whats so special bout it tho (no IE?)
    If you want to try it, there's a 33-1 release here on MDL containing all english versions, 7 regular, E & N.

3. FunkTrooper

FunkTrooper MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    I know I can't download the OS from Windows Update. I was wondering if I install Windows 7 E, would it be able to use the Windows Update service?

Does MS differentiate between the standard and E editions in any way? Do all the updates released for Windows 7 work on E? Would a service pack work?

4. evildave

evildave MDL Junior Member

Feb 22, 2010
    #4 evildave, Apr 14, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
    E is the european choose-a-browser version
    N is the choose-a-mediaplayer version
    K is the korean choose-an-im-client version
    KN is combined K & N

My technet keys for normal/K are interchangable, and N/KN are also interchangable. Can't use a normal/K key on N or KN or vice-versa though. Since my account is US-based, I never got E keys so don't know about their status.

5. kristain

kristain MDL Novice

Mar 19, 2010
    Windows 7 E is European version OS. Microsoft is planning to ship separate application discs with Windows 7 E retail versions.

6. digital-life

digital-life MDL Novice

Apr 12, 2010
    why do they have different versions for each religion I thought that language packs sorted that out

7. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    Thats not the problem.

in different countries and parts of world, theyre just not alllowed to have lets say wmp or ie installed.
    Here in europe an update was released lettin you pick ur webbrowser if and only if ie was standard.

8. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    I is not the case of not allowed to install IE or WMP but user given choice to install or not without it being forced upon them.

9. georgelucian

georgelucian MDL Novice

Oct 5, 2010
    For those who have 4 gb of ram ( x86),windows vista or windows 7,recognize only 3.25 gb of ram,and for this use about 1gb of ram.
    Herer a very useful program which patch your windows (vista or 7) to use all 4 gb of ram:

10. robalm

robalm MDL Senior Member

Oct 21, 2009
    What is it with thread to do?
    And there is no news, the patch has been out for a low time.
    Plus there are already several threads on the patch.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010

so where is the patch then?

12. robalm

robalm MDL Senior Member

Oct 21, 2009
    probably have a moderate removed the link?
    (Because it is totally irrelevant)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...