Anytime Upgrade Unsuccessful

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by nuggstein, Jul 11, 2010.

1. nuggstein

nuggstein MDL Novice

Aug 4, 2009
    This is very strange. I just got a new Sony VAIO laptop. I had a different one before but there were issues with it so I bought a new one after sending the old one back.

It has SLIC 2.1 and I am running a legitimate copy of Windows 7 Home Premium x64.

When I used the previous VAIO which had the same specifications, I was able to use Windows Anytime Upgrade to Ultimate...

Now when I try it it fails! It just says it's unsuccessful and that's it!

What do I do? I've tried multiple SLP keys!

2. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    Are you entering it though the start menu or cmd line?

Also I heard something about a change in anytime upgrades but forgot what it was ;)

You could always just clean install the RTM here in "repo"

Then just use Opa tool or Daz loader to enter key and cert

3. nuggstein

nuggstein MDL Novice

Aug 4, 2009
    Gahhh...nooooooo

Is there an OEM Ultimate x64 DVD ISO I can download? I searched forever. Because then that would work since it would accept my key. I have a "Retail DVD" but it didn't accept the SLP OEM key.

and I don't wanna use a loader since it was working perfectly fine before!

4. nuggstein

nuggstein MDL Novice

Aug 4, 2009
    that's the retail copy though! I have a retail ultimate already on DVD. what should I do then? can i upgrade my OEM version to the retail version using an SLP key? because when I tried to install ultimate by itself using the SLP key, it didn't accept it.

5. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    You got the slic 2.1 so to be like you had done anytime upgrade just install your choice of x64 then use daz loader to enter key and cert

That should do it ;)

6. nuggstein

nuggstein MDL Novice

Aug 4, 2009
    I understand...but when I tried to do a clean install with my Ultimate x64 DVD...it wouldn't accept the SLP OEM key because it was a retail edition! I currently have OEM WinPrem installed...can I use my retail DVD, upgrade to Ultimate, and use an SLP key? I'm a bit confused.

7. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    Daz loader will install the OEM SLP key for ultimate when you have ultimate on your comp

Do a clean install meaning put disk or USB in comp then restart and it should boot into that media

You might have to set bios to have boot order to your media but try restart first

8. nuggstein

nuggstein MDL Novice

Aug 4, 2009
    I don't want to do a clean install. Why can't I upgrade to Ultimate from the DVD I have?

9. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    I dunno dude like I said earlier maybe they changed the anytime game try googling or try entering the key in the anytime window again

Good luck

10. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
  11. nuggstein

nuggstein MDL Novice

Aug 4, 2009
    I can't get it to work. I've tried so many keys! I do NOT want to install a clean copy...it'll be a pain in the ass to reinstall all of Sony's drivers and sh*t like that because they're annoying to install...

Why won't Anytime Upgrade work? It worked a few weeks ago!!! What do I do?

12. nuggstein

nuggstein MDL Novice

Aug 4, 2009
    nope. :(

i just don't wanna install a new copy just for this. i guess i'll deal with premium but i don't understand why this doesn't work.

13. rupsd

rupsd MDL Senior Member

May 27, 2010
    retail or oem it should accept oem_slp keys

14. timesurfer

timesurfer MDL Developer

Nov 22, 2009
    Well now at least you know how to get what you want when your ready ;) Since your upgrade is not working!

15. FattysGoneWild

FattysGoneWild MDL Member

Mar 7, 2010
    #17 FattysGoneWild, Jul 11, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
    That sucks if the feature was tweaked or some thing. Worked fine for me about a month ago. I don't have a Sony though. Maybe MS blocked OEM SLP keys now trying to use this feature?

16. danny3456

danny3456 MDL Member

Aug 22, 2009
    You could do that. Just upgrade with your DVD and press enter when ask for key. It will make you installation to a trial copy. Then either enter slp key and cert by cmd or use Daz's loader or OPA Tools.

17. jabberwocky

jabberwocky MDL Member

Aug 28, 2009
    #19 jabberwocky, Jul 11, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
    just to prove the point I just upgraded one of my spare windows Home Premium intallations to Ultimate .
    Previous one was using a HP key so I used the ultimate HP SLP key from here and it upgraded no problem so windows anytime upgrade has not changed .
    you should try running your installation disk from boot ,not run from desktop .choose upgrade ,but dont put a key in ,once installed use the CMD (command) Method to insert your cert and key .
    the cert must match the slic in your bios ,for example if your bios has a dell slic you have to use a dell Cert.
    the key is not brand specific ,but it is version specific ,so any make key will do but it must match the windows version , for example windows ultimate must have a Ultimate key.and just for the record ,it makes no difference what installation disk you have ,OEM or Retail ,the version you end up with is dependant on what key you put in .
    All of my DVDs are retail bit if I use an OEM key to install the installation becomes OEM ,and vice versa.

18. Calistoga

Calistoga MDL Senior Member

Jul 25, 2009
    I have never installed a driver manually for Windows 7. Every time I reinstall, I run Windows Update and every single driver is found and installed automatically.

It's not that hard, really ;)