Apache Open Office Broke My Feedback App, Anyone Else Have Trouble With It?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ChaserLee, Oct 10, 2014.

1. ChaserLee

ChaserLee MDL Senior Member

Oct 7, 2014
    In another thread I started, I described how my Windows Feedback App stopped working all the sudden. Today I restored the system back to 4 days ago, and started installing my programs again, one by one, and testing the App after each program install.

When I installed Apache Open Office 4.11, which automatically installs MS Visual C++ 2008 along with it, I did a reboot, and tried the Feedback App, and it was broke again. So, obviously, at least on my system, Open Office is what broke the app, or C++ 2008 broke it, I don't know which.

I did a system restore to just before the installation of Open Office, and the Feedback App worked once again.

I'm starting this thread to see if anyone else has had the same problem as I did. The reason is that my spreadsheets were made with Open Office, and I sort of need to use them for my budget and such as that. So, I'd like to know if this happens only on my system, or has anyone else had the same problem after installing Open Office.

Input would be greatly appreciated!

Chaser

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    I appreciate you taking the time and effort to do that! I should have said in my original post that I'm only using the plain vanilla TP of Windows 10, not Enterprise. I don't know if that makes a difference or not...

4. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    From the looks of things, it seems I'm the only one with the problem with Open Office. I found a workaround by using LibreOffice, which will open the spreadsheets I have and with some re-formatting and such, seems to work fine, except the end product file when saved is about twice as large, in KBs, as the OO file was originally. Not a biggie, at least I can get to my info and continue to use Windows 10 TP. Otherwise, it would have been a deal-breaker for me, and I would have had to gone back to 8.1 until the RTM was released. But all is well for now, and with that, the adventure continues........

5. ChaserLee

Oct 7, 2014
    UPDATE: For anyone following this thread, all 3 of you :rolleyes:, I found something else that just broke my Feedback App again a few minutes ago. I installed .Net 3.5 Framework from the TP install .iso, did a reboot, and tried Feedback. I've gotten into a habit of making a restore point before I install anything after the first time I broke the app. Anyways, after the reboot, the app was broken again.

So, another System Restore to just before the .net 3.5 install, a reboot, and the app is working well again. Your mileage may vary, but this has been my experience so far, on my system.

If anyone is reading this thread, and have .net 3.5 installed, would you make a quick post letting me know, so that I can try to figure out if there is something on my system not configured correctly, or if it's common to other users also.

Thanks!

Chaser

6. Zardoc

Zardoc MDL Addicted

Feb 7, 2008
    I installed C++ 2012 and I think that's what broke the feedback app. Anyone got a fix?

Thanks. ;)