App to compare folders and files on 2 seperate HDDs that should be duplicates???

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by solo_voyager, Apr 5, 2013.

1. solo_voyager

solo_voyager MDL Junior Member

Aug 5, 2009
    I have had so much trouble with corrupt files when copying large numbers of files [hundreds of GBs] from one drive to another with eSATA, that I am paranoid even when copying from one internal drive to another.

Is there an app that will compare files on separate drives, compare them and tell if there is any difference between them, specifically to report corruption of the copied files?

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. solo_voyager

Aug 5, 2009
    #5 solo_voyager, Apr 5, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
    (OP)
    That is how I resolved the corruption problem before.
    The main trouble is that it is very time and labor intensive to pack, transfer, test, re-transfer if needed and then unpack the files at the destination drive.
    If I cannot find an easier quicker way, that will be my option again.
    If so, I'd opt for 7Zip this time because it can use all 8 hyper-threaded cores.

@pisthai
    SEE VERDICT BELOW
    Thanks guys

5. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    #6 Myrrh, Apr 5, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  6. solo_voyager

Aug 5, 2009
    #7 solo_voyager, Apr 6, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2013
    (OP)
    VERDICT

1. ExactFile can only generate checksums on a given set of files. I see no way to do a batch file transfer and comparison directly from the app.

2. After transferring 287GB in 4,665 folders and 75,338 files from one HDD to another, Tera Copy does the job I wanted done. I plugged in the folder with the sub folders and files I want transferred. Then, I plug in the destination folder and told it to compare CRC's when the transfer was complete. And then, I went and took a nap. I woke up before it had finished. So, I went off for my afternoon work session. When I returned, the transfer of the files and the verification of the checksums between the original and target files had completed. The target files were 100%. The job was completed unattended. What more could I ask for?

3. Tera Copy works so well that I haven't even looked at Hash Check. My feeling is that it will compare to Exact File. Although, I cannot verify that.

From Tera Copy's website I infer that there is an ad supported freeware version available.

Thanks folks for your input on this.

7. shabirally

shabirally MDL Novice

Apr 4, 2013
    Also use tree file size