Apparently Microsoft is still allowing free upgrades from Windows 7 to Windows 10

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by CHEF-KOCH, Nov 29, 2019.

1. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
  2. mspaintmsi

mspaintmsi MDL Novice

May 9, 2015
    I don't know if you're aware, but that's the way Digital License (HWID) and KMS38 activation methods work.
    During the upgrade process from Windows 7/8/8.1/10(!) to 10, a ticket is generated based on the genuine state of your machine and the activation is transferred to the new installation in the form of a digital license.

The upgrade from 10 to 10 is especially important; The same tickets generated for 7 to 10 upgrades are generated for transferring genuine state between 10 to 10 upgrades. This means that Microsoft will probably never disable those upgrades because that would break Windows 10 upgrades. (It's as you mentioned barely legal, but it still works)
    (Even if they make upgrades from older versions impossible, we'll find a way to get around that .-.)

(Source: I'm one of the authors of those activation methods .-.)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. mc.mc

mc.mc MDL Novice

Nov 25, 2012
    #4 mc.mc, Nov 29, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
    So all you need is a working win7, update to win10, this will be activated, and, from then on, any new win10 install will be insta-activated? And will win10 activation still work moving to a new computer, or will you need to go through all the upgrading process each time?

4. bfoos

bfoos MDL Guide Dog

Jun 15, 2008
    This has all been known, and discussed ad nauseam in the over 2,100 post sticky thread in this subforum.
    https://forums.mydigitallife.net/th...g-through-the-complete-upgrade-process.64770/

@mc.mc You can move a Windows 10 license to a new machine by tying it your MS account as long as the SKU is officially supported for HWID activation. Sometimes the activation troubleshooter is required but it doesn't work for Enterprise HWID's nor probably IoT Enterprise HWID's.

5. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    As long as the hardware isn't changed (mobo), the hwid will be instantly picked up when online (home (+N) & Pro (+N).
    +

6. #7 Deleted member 578156, Nov 29, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2019
    Copy of Windows 7 Home or pro which ever you prefer and a copy of the Daz Loader and your set! It may be shady as to whether its legal but its nobody's fault that Microsoft and computer hardware manufactures allowed for a way to exploit an activation loop hole using software to trick windows 7 in thinking and broadcasting to Microsoft that it was genuine activated and if its that big of deal then maybe these people should have got together and fixed it! Koodos to the owner of the Daz loader at being smart enough to figure out how to exploit the loop hole. Smart Man!!!

7. #8 Deleted member 578156, Nov 29, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2019
    Windows 10 no longer uses the Slic Table in the bios as part of its activation so that loophole is gone! I know the Daz loader was only used for testing purposes only so whoever decides to go with that and not buy a legit copy is there problem. I only have 2 machines that I actually bought that came with windows 10 all my other copies of windows 10 are from the Daz loader. When windows 10 launched my sources told me that Microsoft was well aware that there were copies of pirated windows 7 floating around that would end up getting a Digital Windows 10 Activation and they did nothing about it so.

8. 3zero3

3zero3 MDL Senior Member

Apr 26, 2012
    Insider build from 16251 to 16288, will give You "Pro for Workstation" for free.

9. MrG

MrG MDL Expert

May 31, 2010
    I installed another partition on my Laptop (last week) & installed Win10 x64 v1809 Pro on it off a DVD
    w/ the Laptop disconnected from the internet.
    It arrived @ the desktop w/ Pro already activated.

Once I plugged in the internet it updated to v1903 after a few updates.

10. mc.mc

mc.mc MDL Novice

Nov 25, 2012
    @bfoos, @Enthousiast:

Wasn't aware of (or, tbh, really cared about) that (for the reasons below), but the reason I asked was that I was reading this guy brag about getting win10 free for life when that was (officially) available, and how it really was for life, but seems he didn't need to rush, after all.

@Excalibur0076:

Yeah, good old pal Daz ;) others took over since, though.

If MS really cared, though, they'd easily make it impossible/not worth it; it's their design after all. But, given their quote about China (99% of a 90% market share being pirated), I doubt they'd prefer a 1-10% legit share over a 90% pirated share (or, as some douche once said, "there's a quality in quantity").

11. Gazook

Gazook MDL Novice

Oct 21, 2009
    Building a new machine, and have no desire to clone my existing Win 7 install and upgrade to 10 from that. All new hardware anyhow, so not sure it would work so well.

This is my question. If I tried using my existing Win 7 key ( think its from an MSDN subscription, was given to me) on the New windows 10 box , , and it happened to work, would it trash the activation on the OLD Windows machine? I need the old machine to stay up and running cleanly.

12. bfoos

bfoos MDL Guide Dog

Jun 15, 2008
    I don't know if it would trash your Windows 7 activation but it's a non-issue really when HWID's for Windows 10 are so trivial to generate.

13. mspaintmsi

mspaintmsi MDL Novice

May 9, 2015
    #14 mspaintmsi, Dec 1, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
    I have no idea why you (at least seem to) think "legal" keys by themselves make your installation legal. If you don't have a license but have a "legal" key - the installation is still not legal.
    There's no difference between using the MSDN key and using an activator at this point. Especially that the upgrade process does what is (literally) the way Digital License activation (HWID) works, but the activator gets the job done without you having to absolutely unnecessarily install the system two times.

Besides, you can use the Windows 7 key on Windows 10 (through clipup or the settings field) and it will automatically give you a Digital License for it.

P.S. MSDN keys are Retail, so you can use them on multiple computers without problems. (Keep in mind that using them on more than one computer is against licensing terms, but considering that you don't have a licence - it doesn't matter .-.)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Is this some new law? And what is a legal key and a legal license? What's the difference?
    Is a legal license what is on paper and what is stored electronically on a computer isn't legal?

15. mspaintmsi

mspaintmsi MDL Novice

May 9, 2015
  16. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    @mspaintmsi, I'm so thankful, but I really have all genuine and legal licenses...
    But...
    I can't say anything about such a story anymore, what is above.
    I've seen all kinds of things in life, but never so big and so nearby...
    Wonderful, if You understand and believe what You talk.
    People must believe in the smartest and best people around them.

17. pf100

pf100 Duct Tape Coder

Oct 22, 2010
    I lost the EULA and can't find it, but if I remember correctly, microsoft puts ads, spam and telemetry in windows 10 because it's an ad-supported OS and the ads pay for the OS, so it's free. I'm pretty sure that's exactly what the EULA says.

18. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    This?

Attached Files: