Applications of significant size cannot be installed after reinstall of Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Mentored, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Mentored

Mentored MDL Novice

Feb 29, 2012
    Hi,

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, and I'm not sure that everything is relevant to the problem at hand either, but I'll describe the entire process as background info in case it has a bearing.

I upgraded the OS from XP using an upgrade version of Windows 7 a while back, and the way I did it, XP remained on the computer, and it was selectable during upstart. There were some difficulties afterwards using Windows 7 with the computer hanging eventually, and the monitor finally remained black and displayed the message "No signal found". I realized that it was probably the graphics card, so I installed a new one and the computer worked again, but there were stil issues with it hanging and so on. I finally decided that my only option was to reinstall reformatting the hard disk in the process, but after having done that, it is no longer possible to install programs that are significant in size. It seems to possibly have to do with some problem while transferring data, as it is not even possible to copy and paste larger amounts of data from one drive to another without the computer hanging (or at least the Windows Explorer window). The result is that I cannot install any programs. I can, however, use the Internet etc without any problems (unless I try to download something, that is).

The computer also often gets stuck with "Shutting down" displayed on the screen when trying to shut down such that you have to kill the computer by pressing and holding the "On" button, and the cache to the motherboard must often be cleared again before it can be started again.

Any ideas on what might be causing this and what might solve it? The computer is 4 or 5 years old and has an ASUS P5E3 motherboard with 4 Gb of RAM. Having been reformatted, there is plenty of space on the hard drive.

Thanks,

Mentored

2. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
    #2 NICK@NUMBER11, Feb 29, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
    possible damaged files, try this...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    To Run the SFC /SCANNOW Command in Windows 7
    1. Open a elevated command prompt (right click -> Run as administrator), and do step 2

2. To Scan and Repair System Files
    NOTE: Scans the integrity of all protected system files and repairs the system files if needed. Please see red WARNING box at the top of this tutorial.
    A) In the elevated command prompt, type sfc /scannow and press Enter. NOTE: This may take a little bit to finish.

3. Mentored

Mentored MDL Novice

Feb 29, 2012
    After doing that, I get the message "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations" and the problems persist.

4. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
    ok, so its not caused by corruped files then. if you boot into safe mode by pressing f8 at starting does it happen. if it does not maybe uninstall your disply driver and reinstall that

5. bludgard

bludgard MDL Member

Jan 4, 2011
    It may also be worth mentioning that the hard drive itself may need testing with vendor specific software.;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    I would say the hard drive is failing.

7. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Hard drive full maybe? 7 has a larger footprint than XP.