Appropriate way to activate Windows XP Professional SP3 without modifying BIOS

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by Baghi, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Baghi

Baghi MDL Junior Member

Sep 1, 2013
    Hi, I wanted to install XP on an old machine with low specs. What's the best way to activate it without modifying BIOS and all. I found that AntiWPA, but it contains a .dll which I can't trust. If possible, please post genuine hashes of said hacktivator so that I can download them.

Thanks in advance.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Read the stickies!!

1. If it uses Intel processor, then chances are there that it already contains 'GENUINE' string.
    2. If not, then no need to mod bios. Just edit DMI data.

3. Baghi

Baghi MDL Junior Member

Sep 1, 2013
    Any alternate method?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    3. Use the old but useful VL method.

;)

5. Baghi

Baghi MDL Junior Member

Sep 1, 2013
    Sorry, I'm out of touch with XP and Vista. I'd be helpful if you point me in the right direction. Also, AntiWPA hashes would be great too. :)

6. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  7. Baghi

Baghi MDL Junior Member

Sep 1, 2013
    Thanks for this, need to download a VL ISO now since I had RETAIL one. This changing DMI string thingy is too complicated. I download bootable HP ISO as said in the sticky thread, what's next? :(

8. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Just boot from it & follow the instructions. Btw what is the model of the motherboard??

9. Baghi

Baghi MDL Junior Member

Sep 1, 2013
  10. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    #10 kelorgo, Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
    The VirtualBox VM that you are using to experiment and a real machine have very different hardware configurations and BIOS-es. A VM is unfortunately only useful for very limited testing. Any success you have with DMI editing in a VirtualBox VM is not relevant to a real machine.

Besides, I am guessing that you are using the "HP Tattoo ISO" from the sticky titled "DMI Boot CD for Award-AMI-Intel BIOS (Add SLP1.0 w/o modding)". This won't work at all in a VirtualBox VM, for several reasons:
    1) Being a Virtual Machine, DMI settings can't be altered from inside the guest running in the machine.
    2) The ISO you are trying only works for real Award, AMI and Intel BIOS-es, not the proprietary BIOS that VirtualBox has built-in.

VirtualBox actually allows you to set the DMI parameters of a VM through the configuration file of the VM. However, this technique obviously wouldn't apply to a real machine.

Lastly, and most importantly: if you do not want to modify the BIOS or mess with DMI strings, by far the easiest and best solution is to just install a Volume License version of XP and use any of the Volume License product keys floating around on the internet. VL does not require online activation.

11. Baghi

Baghi MDL Junior Member

Sep 1, 2013
    kelorgo. Excellent detailed post. Very helpful.

It's settled then: 1st preferred method of activating XP is using DMI string thingy, 2nd AntiWPA and the 3rd is that old-good VL key one. I'd be very grateful if you (or someone) uploads genuine AntiWPA or it's dll's hashes so that I can activate the retail copies as well if need be.

Honestly speaking I didn't know that. I thought VL ISO are intended for big organizations where you need to install given OS on more than 5 PCs.

Thanks a tons.

12. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    AntiWPA I last method we do not reccomend it at all or even post links to download it on MDL since it just hacks system files.

13. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    No. 1st preferred method is DMI or VL (either is fine). By far the worst, last, crappiest and not recommended method is AntiWPA. Don't do it.
    Yes, VL is intended for big organizations. Big organizations don't want to have to activate each PC one-by-one online. Windows XP's VL edition therefore does not require online activation.

14. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  15. Baghi

Baghi MDL Junior Member

Sep 1, 2013
    #15 Baghi, Sep 16, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
    (OP)
  16. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    8/8.1 are you referring to windows 8.0 and 8.1 if so forget it different type of activation as regards to OEM the serial number is built into the bios on the machine. Safest method for Xp is OEM SLP: if possible VLK keys can be blacklisted.

17. Baghi

Baghi MDL Junior Member

Sep 1, 2013
    Yes, Windows 8 and 8.1. I'm just curious to know as what advantages you have with the VL ISO this time around? It still needs to be activated online, if I'm not mistaken.

18. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  19. Viggen66

Viggen66 MDL Senior Member

May 24, 2011
    as urie says, it can give you more work modifying the bios files to match your bios, but it must be safest way to get a genuine XP, without being backlisted, and other problem at all

20. Baghi

Baghi MDL Junior Member

Sep 1, 2013
    I know it's XP forum, but instead of making a new thread or hijacking someone's thread I thought I'd ask here, does Windows 8 VL and 8.1 VL have the same advantage of not needing to activate online like XP VL, because I only tried retail of said OSes.