Archive of the old, almost forgotten OS-es

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by frozendwarf, Nov 30, 2015.

1. frozendwarf

frozendwarf MDL Novice

Nov 30, 2015
    Hey guys,

I came across this site and found some legit old school goodies! Everything from Windows 1.0, OS/2 to MacOS to rewind back the time ;-)

h**ps://winworldpc.com/library

Enjoy :)

2. Threat

Threat Lord of the Files

Feb 23, 2014
    That's been known about for years and posted often.

A lot of the files on there are not authentic untouched, eg lots of what can only be called bad dumps. They may work, but from an archiving point of view worthless.

There is no verification of many files on there. eg UltraISO builds etc.

A better option is BetaArchive, this is larger and has rules to protect integrity of new uploads. Sadly there are lots of bad dumps still from before they upped there standards so again lots of UltraISO stuff.
    Gradually this is been replaced.

The best bet is to verify the hash you want and try multiple sources and check yourself if they match.

3. frozendwarf

frozendwarf MDL Novice

Nov 30, 2015
    I see the point in there. Also, I didn't know about BetaArchive until now which sounds very attracting at the first look.

Yes, about these files.. they are more for experimental purposes, if they work.
    I've personally tried a version of old MS 3.11 and worked good in Virtualbox I believe I used.

And yes, verifying the hashes before installing is always a good idea.

4. Threat

Threat Lord of the Files

Feb 23, 2014
    Yeah the weakness is they let so much home made crap up before they tightened up the rules that you need industrial s**te remover to find the good stuff. There is some good stuff but they really need to junk all the ISO's with UltraISO header etc.

5. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    Are you sure they didn't already have it, but not yet on the ftp? I think "things they don't have yet" have priority over "better versions of things they already have". So it could be they really did have it but it's not yet processed and uploaded on the ftp.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...