Are all Win7 versions on every retail disk?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Bradmax57, Oct 21, 2009.

1. Bradmax57

Bradmax57 MDL Junior Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Just got my retail home premium and unlike vista which if you didnt enter a key it asked which version you were installing it only seems to install home premium, probably as it asks for key after install, but wanted to try this so i could be sure of a clean image

2. bidji

bidji MDL Novice

Jun 16, 2009
    N and Enterprise (only eval version?) are excluded from retail.

3. iNO12

iNO12 MDL Member

Jul 27, 2009
    The discs contain every edition (except N, E and enterprise I think). There is a file on the disc named ei.cfg (I beleive it is in the sources folder), if you delete this file then it will ask you what edition you want to install during setup. Othewise if you enter a home premium key, it'll install that edition.. if you entered an ultimate edition key, then it would install ultimate.

I think you can also change the edition in ei.cfg for when you install with no key. Theres guides all over the place on how to do this stuff. :)

4. Bradmax57

Dec 31, 2008
    ok then so ive got my retail home premium disc and key, but i was wanting to try and use the disk to create a pro install or ultimate install on my dell xps 13 using dell key and cert but dont know how to go about it, do i simply enter the relevant key at the end?

5. Bradmax57

Dec 31, 2008
    ah cool, you jumped in with the info i needed before i replied ;)

6. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    this has been discussed many times.

sources\ei.cfg determines which edition to install, if deleted it asks you.

The disc you have has Home Basic, Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate... and Starter, if it's the 32-bit version.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Bradmax57

Dec 31, 2008
    sorry should have searched a bit more, but as im on now anyway, i have to rip it via ultraiso etc and remove the file then rebuild the iso?

just tried it and obviously it didnt accept a ultimate key on my hp disc :)

8. Bax!

Bax! MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Yes, then burn to disk and your new copy will now ask every time what version you wish to install.

9. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    Or just leave it in a folder on your network somewhere and run setup from there. You don't have to install from physical media, you know.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. 5ft24

5ft24 MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2009
    Yep... Downloaded my professional 64 bit version I bought on the pre-sale discount 2 months ago. Copied the contents of the ISO to a folder on the computer, edited ei.cfg to Ultimate and changed Retail to OEM.
    it allowed me to upgrade my RC Ultimate to the rtm Ultimate, then added the HP Cert and key with slmgr.vbs. Activated and running fine as Ultimate 64 bit!