Are new fixes technically significant and are new updates containing more telemetry?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Wader8, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Wader8

Wader8 MDL Novice

Sep 2, 2016
    Hello

I am wondering if all these updates in 2016 have added to the whole telemetry/cortana thing

I have researched enough even tho I didn't do much running of Win10 myself, so I know the answer is yes, some services were renamed to look less suspicious, etc.

So are these counterattacks by MS already mitigated so even if I use the latest version i am still able to disable all telemetry and cortana?

So if I have versions after the anniversary update, will I have more trouble disabling all the cortana/telemetry?

Because if the latest big update only has some stuff for multimedia, which I totally don't care about, then I'm better off using the older versions if I will get more trouble out of trying to modify and tweak the newer versions, the opposite argument is ofcourse that there's an important technical fix to some core windows system and stability that I would be worth it, but I don't know ?

I also want full admin rights to do anything, since I will be registry tweaking one way or another, I don't want any "this service cannot be disabled" message. I will do everything it takes to get control that I want on MY computer, but it would be more practical to have full control in Services GUI than to go and manually edit stuff in registry for each one. This is a big deal, if the newer versions have less loopholes to achive that or have features such as this disabled I will obviously rather use the older versions.

Thanks

2. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Considering words you're using ("counterattacks", "MY computer", "get control", "loopholes") you might want to consider some flavor of Linux. Doing what you want in a "total" sort of way with Windows 10 is pretty much like playing Whack-A-Mole: you fix one thing and something else pops up.

3. abbodi1406

abbodi1406 MDL KB0000001

Feb 19, 2011
    Telemetry paranoia is a lost cause :tea:

4. Wader8

Wader8 MDL Novice

Sep 2, 2016
    #4 Wader8, Sep 9, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
    (OP)
    I guess I have much work ahead of me, searching through those old threads I remember, this OS is more work than I thought.

I was hoping if I could at least get some pointers from the big guys around here, I do not believe that someone responding with a "lost cause" is to be taken for good advice, that's milktoast approach and only lowering morale, it's something an average apple user would stay, the common visitors who get here for basic windows help and nothing else is not what I am looking for sorry, I was looking for some uplifting or kinda a kikstart to get me started into win10, I keep delaying because I don't get interested on my own.

I was chased out of other communities because of their complete denial and because they all link it politically and so it's deemed "offtopic, controversial, disruptive" , I do not understand the mixed opinions around here, even the inexperienced ones if they browse these forums wouldn't they see all those details and eventually learn from all the technical material posted by others. Maybe that "eventually" is going to take some more time.

I have realized most people use the most updated official or slightly modded ISO and they all make a few modifications of their own ontop, but they all very much use a lot of the same settings in the end when it comes to multitasking, with exceptions ofcourse, I believe that this is a fundamentally failed approach from many various standpoints, it's so unpractical, I have learned this the hard way with the Win7 era, I don't see it feasible repeating this again.

5. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #5 PhaseDoubt, Sep 9, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
    [FONT=&amp]Actually I feel your pain. Don't get me wrong, I can live with a tweaked Windows 10 and for one specific program my wife uses, Windows is the only practical if not possible choice. But part and parcel of using any device, program or whatever is coming to terms with its particular set of quirks and they all have them. It’s like a marriage, you have to work at it constantly for it to be successful. And "success" does not mean "perfection", that's just not going to happen.[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]My advice to use Linux was not some poorly thought out quick comment. I've been a Microsoft user since the old DOS days, but not long ago I migrated all my computers (three desktops; two now retired and three netbooks) to Linux Mint 17.3. Since then my wife and I have bought a pair of iMacs both of which are our primary computers. She still has to have Windows so she does have that and I have 10 in a couple of VirtualBox VMs for testing and familiarization purposes. I’m her tech support so I just can’t walk away from Windows. [/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]If Windows, and Windows 10 specifically, causes you such heartburn why do you keep on using it? I mean really, it’s just not that big a deal to use a Mac or Linux box once you get fed up enough. If you just have to use Windows, you need to come to terms with that particular “marriage” and move on. Constant complaining on a multitude of forums is neither going to solve your “problem” nor win friends and influence people. Well, it obviously influences people and as you have pointed out it can be less than optimally productive. [/FONT]

6. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    Not having updates is much worse than having telemetry, and you’ll have the latter anyway.

7. dobbelina

dobbelina MDL Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    So it was your wife that made you an MDL Expert lol! :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #9 PhaseDoubt, Sep 10, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
    Nope ... Bill Gates. But since you brought it up, I love my wife dearly and support her in all things; we've been married over 25 years. I'll put our relationship into more computerish terms: she's my upgrade wife. And that's all I'll say about that. :biggrin: